Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Patellar Tendinitis

On Facebook this morning, I asked my runner friends to post some injuries they have and want to learn more about (from a PT perspective). My plan is to post about each of the injuries mentioned.
PT School Graduation (in case you can't see, my shirt says "It's Lisa, Dr. Reaves if you're nasty")
 
Preface: I'm a legit PT (physical therapist)...DPT to be exact :) BUT, I don't know and will never know all there is to know about running injuries. I can only give you the best information that I know (through learning and experience)...so take this for what it's worth.
 
On to the topic:
(Anatomy pic provided by mayoclinic.com)
 
This condition is most common in sports that involve jumping but is also seen in runners, walkers, and cyclists. The latter are usually due to overuse injury (doing too much too fast when starting a training program or having improper technique). Basically, "-itis" = inflammation...you can look up all day what patellar tendinitis is but I'll try to give you things to do (or not to do) to improve it.
 
1. If you have patellar tendinitis, you probably have tight quads. There are a bunch of ways to stretch your quads but here is the most common:
I know stretching is boring but it's SO important!!!
 
2. Ice, post-workout, 10-15 minutes.
 
3. Rest and/or decrease mileage/pace. I've been dealing with a knee issue since I began training in January (probably due to overuse mentioned above). I did things like decrease my mileage, actually rest on rest days, and did elliptical warm ups/cool downs instead of running warm ups/cool downs. After about 2 or 3 weeks of this, I had a significant decrease in knee pain. Now I'm slowly increasing my mileage and pace.
 
In addition to the list above, you may have weakness/tightness in other areas of your legs and core. Remember that everyone is an individual with different issues. It wouldn't hurt to incorporate a leg and core strengthening program in addition to your running program. With leg strengthening, focus on the hips.
 
 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment