Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Last Chance For Boston 10K

Two of the hardest things about racing: getting up at the butt crack of dawn and making myself eat something before the race.
Yikes!
 
So many things were going through my head before the race. I was worried about my knee, I could barely eat half an apple, am I wearing enough to stay warm?! You get the idea.
For the first time ever, I didn't have butterflies in my stomach. I think it's because my friend, Dela, was running her first race and I was so insanely excited for her! I am so proud of her dedication and hard work:
Go Dela!!!
 
Basically, the course was a 1-mile loop that you just kept repeating (number of laps depended on the race you ran). I got to look forward to 6 laps! Luckily, time at the starting line went by fast since I had Dela to talk to...but it was FRICKIN' FREEZIN'! I kept telling myself I would warm up after a mile. I never warmed up...it was THAT cold!
My first mile was my slowest. Honestly, I couldn't tell how fast I was going because I couldn't feel anything! After I finished my first mile and heard my time (I use the mapmyrun app), I knew I could go a little faster. After mile 3, my knee began bothering me a little. The pressure sensation continued to get worse but I never felt the shooting pain which was a huge blessing. It was amazing how focused I was while having fun all at the same time. Three things kept me going: the fact that Dela was out there, her family was there cheering us on, and the guy that gave everyone high fives each lap :)
Post race pic...look at how red my nose is!
 
To my surprise, I received a plaque as I finished! I'm not used to getting those!
Apparently, I was a top 20 10K finisher of all the men and women. I went online to look at the official results to see how I compared to everyone else and my name wasn't even on the list. Something might have happened with my timing chip or they just forgot to put my name in the computer. I emailed the race coordinator to find out what might have happened. Here are my race splits (per mapmyrun):
Mile 1- 9:54
Mile 2- 9:32
Mile 3- 9:20
Mile 4- 9:00
Mile 5- 9:02
Mile 6- 9:06
Mile 6.33- 8:43
 
This race has really pumped me up for future races. My next one is a 5K on St. Patty's Day! Here was my reward for a successful day:
 P.S. This is my first time to have this specific wine and it is really sweet if that's what you are into...a little too sweet for me but I'll drink it anyway :)
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment