Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, October 23, 2016

BMB: Week 5

Building My Base
What a craptastic week...might as well keep with my life theme of 2016. I had a rough start by having a bit of an illness. I followed that up with a car accident (also with a side of wrist injury). I decided to tweak my foot on Saturday, BUT ended with some fun at the OSU 4 miler on Sunday! Phew.

Part of the crew at the OSU 4 miler. Hmm...I'm the only one in shorts. Also, fanny pack front and almost center. [Steph, Tamara, Meg, ME, Jen don't call her Jennifer, Jennie/Jen/Jennifer]
  • 10/17: 4 total miles. 2.7 miles @ 9:16 pace, 1.3 at who the heck knows pace. After a well deserved rest day, I was ready to hit the road. I agreed to meet my friend Allison for her long run of 7 miles...4:45 a.m. and we were ready to go! Aside from being sleepy, I felt ok when I woke up. When we started our run, my body was a little fatigued, but that's pretty typical for me. I take a while to warm up. A mile or so into the run, I broke out in a full body sweat. At this point, I didn't say anything to Allison yet because I thought maybe it was the humidity. Another mile went by and I told her I wasn't feeling well. We stopped so that I could strip my shirt. I thought that might make me feel better. NOPE. I was feeling lightheaded and nauseous. No bueno. We decided to turn around at 2.5 miles and head back. We hit 2.7 and I had to quit...like, literally quit. I convinced her to keep going, finish her run, and come back for me. I walked about three quarters of a mile and still felt like crap. At that point, I sat down on the side of the road. Part of me was hoping Allison would show up so I didn't have to continue. The other part of me was annoyed that this was happening and that I was a quitter. I decided to go ahead and start running again. I made it 1.3 miles (I didn't start my watch so had to map it out later) when Allison pulled over to scoop me up. I was never happier to see a human in my entire life. I ended up calling into work that day.
  • 10/18: 4.09 miles, 9:55/mile. If my pace doesn't tell you how I felt, I don't know what will. I still didn't feel awesome but I was determined to get some miles after yesterday's epic fail. I "slept in" until the hubs had to get up so I could help get the kiddos ready. I did a late morning run in my hood before work. It sucked. I was so tired. I wanted 6 miles but it wasn't happening. I had to force myself to do four. I knew I had to make myself rest the next day.
  • 10/19: REST. Although this was an intentional rest day, I decided to mix things up a bit and get into a car accident (obviously sarcasm). I'll spare the details, but the accident happened while I was on the job between patients. All of the airbags deployed. I have a few bruises and air bag burns along with an injured wrist.
    A few hours after the accident.

    Side view.

    At this point, the extent of my injury is still unknown. The urgent care doctor confirmed that there was no fracture, but had concerns about the soft tissue structures. Because of this, she put me on a 10 lb. lifting restriction for at least two weeks in addition to referring me to an ortho. Unfortunately, because it's a work comp. claim, I have to wait for approval before I can see an ortho. I feel like I can perform my job duties but the doc says otherwise. My employer has to go by what the doc says. UGH. I'm super annoyed. I just hope to get back to work ASAP.
  • 10/20: REST. I woke up sore and stiff from my accident. I contemplated going for an evening run but just wasn't feeling like getting out in the rain. I'm super lame. I probably needed to rest anyway.
  • 10/21: 4 miles, 9:15/mile. I thought yesterday's rain was stupid...today was WORSE! Not only was it pouring literally all day, it was crazy windy as well. I cancelled an early run with one of my besties because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up. I was also still nervous about running after my car accident. I decided to go to the Y for a short run on the mill so that I'd have the option to stop at any moment. Fortunately, I had no pain!
    Random: Took Baby Boo for his flu shot. This was his post-shot treat.
  • 10/22: 6.4 miles, 8:55/mile. I met three of my besties for bRUNch. We planned six miles but I wasn't sure how I'd feel and wanted to make sure I'd survive the OSU 4 miler tomorrow. We definitely started too fast for me because I was not feeling awesome after the first two miles. I decided to turn around and give myself the option of running only 4 miles. After slowing down, I started feeling better. I decided to go off route a bit to get some extra mileage. The more I ran, the better I felt! I was getting closer and closer to 6 miles to I decided to go back to the route and catch up with the Marion and Theresa. After the run, we joined Jackie for some delicious brunch from Be Fit Café. Side note: I tweaked my foot toward the end of the run when my foot slipped off of the road to the grass. I felt it in the area of my fractures. It scared me at first but I didn't feel anymore pain after that. It did throb occasionally the rest of the day and was a little tingly on the top of my foot.
    Two of my loves. I have missed running with these girls so much this year. Here's to 2017! [ME, T, Marion]
  • 10/23: 7.45 total miles. 3.5 warm up miles,  9:21/mile; 3.95 miles, 8:16/mile. Today I did the OSU 4 miler with some friends. SO fun! I'm not doing a race report because it was more of a fun run to help me practice race pace for my upcoming pace gig. I mostly failed at keeping the intended pace of 8:30, BUT it did show me that I will be able to hold an 8:30 pace for that race without dying! Our splits were (8:34, 8:15, 8:08, 7:39 for 0.95). I did have a couple of dry heaving moments right after the finish...must be from trying to be the "I" in O-H-I-O for the last quarter mile. LOL.
    The supposed to run 8:30 but actually ran 8:16 crew. Hehehe. [Jen, Meg, Tamara, ME, Katie]

    Post race field action.

    (Foot update: It still doesn't hurt but I do have an achy throb. I'm going to rest from running tomorrow in hopes that it will go away!)
    Me and my rockstar marathon friend, Meg.

    Just me and my medal in front of The Shoe.

Excited about what I'll call my do-over week. Hopefully lots of easy miles sprinkled with a couple of faster miles (unless my foot says otherwise). I also need to get another 10 miler under my belt before marathon training starts! Happy Running, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment