Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, May 29, 2016

D.O.A.P.: 28 Weeks

Diary of a Prunner
 
**********

My family minus Sophie...she can't stay still.


 I miss running. It's starting to get hot and humid which is one of my favorite to run in (I know, I'm crazy...I think it just reminds me of home). No matter how much I want to be out there, I know my foot is not ready for it. On a positive note, I can tell it's getting stronger and stronger every day!

The chart I referred to a lot this week to know what pace I'm walking on the mill. I never went over 4.0 mph.
  • 5/23/16: 7 cycling miles, 30:21. I didn't have the opportunity to do rehab walking today. Bummer. My foot was aching by lunch today. I think the demands of the job are catching up with me!! I had to take my shoe off while driving to give it time to breathe. That seemed to help because I was able to hit up the gym for a cycling workout (without pain). By the time I picked up James and the hubs, my foot was achy again. Jimmy begged us to watch him play volleyball. James didn't want to go for a walk while we were there so I missed out on the walk. Probably a good thing.
    I hate sneaking gym selfies.
  • 5/24/16: 10.6 cycling miles, 45 minutes; 1.4 mile walk, 27:08 (19:22/mile); I had a pretty intense workout on the indoor bike after work. I have to do intervals to keep me from getting bored. Again, I wanted to die, but it was amazing. Later that evening, we did a family walk and pulled James in the wagon. I was able to hold the same pace as my last walk despite pulling the extra weight! My medial foot was aching (arch area) so I'm thinking about trying an insert to see if that helps.
    Achy foot.
  • 5/25/16: REST. I really wanted to get up early and go to the Y for a cycling workout. I'm bummed I have to wait a whole week to get back on the bike (traveling to see the family so I won't have access...UGH). Hopefully that means I'll get a lot of walking miles!
    Mom, me, and jd3.
  • 5/26/16: 2 walking miles in morning, 35:35 (17:48/mile); 1.5 walking miles in the afternoon, 28:55 (19:17/mile).  My morning workout was the furthest and fastest walk so far! I'm sensing a trend in a positive direction. I walked my first mile in 18:52 and decided to pick up the pace. I ended with a 16:43 mile. I didn't realize until late in the first mile that the incline was set to 3.0. That might explain the huffing and puffing! Later that afternoon, I wanted to add some mileage towards my goal so I did an easier walk. I spent this walk thinking about a good goal for my 3 mile walk race as well as mileage goals for June.
    Looks like baby is pushing on the left!
  • 5/27/16: 2.5 walking miles in the a.m., 41:18 (16:31/mile). SO excited about my morning walk!! I added an additional half mile and crept up to 4 mph for the last 0.75 miles. Mile splits: 18:04, 15:44, 7:30 (half mile), incline set between 2 and 3.
    jd3 imitating mommy stretching and reading texts.
  • 5/28/16: 3.1 miles in the morning, 49:50 (16:05/mile). I guess we can call this my "long run"...or walk. Mile splits + 0.10: 17:24, 15:35, 15:03, 1:48. Felt so awesome afterwards even though I didn't think I was going to survive in the middle of my walk.
    jd3, again, imitating mommy!
  • 5/29/16: 2.77 pre-coffee miles, 43:34 (15:44/mile). My only goal for today was to make my total monthly mileage an even number. Splits: 16:36, 15:12, 11:46 (0.77 miles).  My next challenge is seeing if I can translate this pace from the mill to the road.
    Last schweaty walk on the family mill.
 
Based on my progression, I would love to be able to average somewhere between 15-16 minutes per mile for my walk race...hopefully closer to 15 minutes. I cracked up when my friend, Amanda, sent me a video of elite walkers. Those gals WALK a 5k almost as fast as I can run one! Bahahaha!!

As far as next month's mileage goals, I think it's reasonable to get on the bike at least 4 days a week and walk at least 6 days a week. I would like to give myself at least one rest day. I think a good combination of both walking and cycling (along with strengthening) will be key in my return to running. I need to get my lungs tolerant of the intensity but also get my foot used to the weight bearing. A goal of 120 cycling miles and 75 walking miles should be challenging yet attainable.
 
A few things I've learned this week:
  1. Just like with running, I need a good warm up before I can get that walking speed to where I'd like to be for my walk race. You can see that in my mile 1 splits.
  2. I might need an insert for my shoe. My gait pattern is definitely not normal. My foot is tight and I mostly feel it on the medial side when I do my rehab walks (also in my right butt cheek). I may visit Fleet Feet or Front Runner this week.
  3. You CAN get a cardio workout from walking! Now that I'm able to tolerate faster walking speeds in addition to adding incline, I'm getting my heart pumping hard without the bike! I was so concerned about not getting cardio while at my parents' house, but my morning rehab walks took care of that.

 
**********

How Far Along: 28 weeks, 5 days
 
What Baby Boo Deux is Up To: Moving like a mad (wo)man.
         

 
Weight Gain: Didn't weigh myself this week.
    

 
Symptoms: None.
 
 
Cravings/Aversions: Since returning to work, I've been desperate for a pick-me-up in the morning. I decided to suck it up and try to drink coffee again. Fortunately, I was able to tolerate a little bit!! Ahh, heaven!
 

 
Coming Up: I go back to the doc on Tuesday! Hopefully I can pee in the cup this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment