Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, May 22, 2016

D.O.A.P.: 27 Weeks

Diary of a Prunner
 
**********
Good ole ankle exercises.

I'm excited about this post because it will start documenting what I consider my rehab process. Although the current prognosis is that I cannot run until July, I will gladly make walking goals. I'm part of a monthly mileage challenge on Facebook, so I randomly made a goal of 25 walking miles for the month of May (since I didn't get started logging miles until 5/15).  I'm not sure how easy it will be to get my miles once I go back to work. I walk a lot during the day for my job so I imagine I'll be pretty tired by the end of the day. I might have to start those early wake up calls again! EEK.
Fun with my first born.

Also, to keep me motivated while I can't run, I registered for two "races" in June. One is a 3 mile walk (June 12th- Gary Smith Worthington Classic), and the other is a 1 mile "stroller stroll" (Chloe 5k at Creekside on June 25th). Since the three mile walk is in three weeks, I'm hoping I can increase my walking endurance and speed so that I'm not dead last!

**********
Retail therapy to make me feel better about not being able to run.

I received the best news from my ortho this week. My fractures are HEALED!! I am good to resume normal daily activities without restrictions. I just have to avoid "high impact" activities (i.e. running, jumping, etc.) until July.  I can now go to the gym and add some cycling and elliptical to my workout. I can't wait to start burning those calories!!!
  • 5/16/16: 1 mile, 27:34 followed by beasting. Last night's walk (in previous blog post) was tough...mostly because of all of the walking I did that day prior to hitting up the gym. Today was so much better!! I walked a half mile, checking my time every quarter mile, then took a sitting break. I took my shoe off and lightly massaged my foot before doing my next half mile interval. My quarter mile splits were 6:36, 6:14, 7:35, 7:09. These times/distances are comical, but it will be the best way for me to see improvement. I then lifted biceps and triceps while mixing in squats (3x20, no resistance) and seated calf raises (3x50, 20#) for my injured leg. I did one lap of high stepping for my injured leg because my hip flexor didn't feel like it got a workout.
    
    I can't believe the progression I've made since this walk
  • 5/17/16: 2 miles, 53:59; chest and back workout. This is just comical to me. Oh well...tis my life at the moment. I am proud of this walk, though, because my overall average was faster than my previous two, AND I did one more mile. I split this walk into intervals of 1x800m and 2x1200m. My first mile was 24:07 which has been my fastest thus far. I really slowed down my last 1200 meters. My foot and back were getting pretty tired.  Later that evening, we had family gym night so I beasted chest and back.
  • 5/18.16: 2 miles, 25:44 solo, 23:59 stroller with James. My morning was filled with errands and dates, so I was able to enjoy the gorgeous afternoon weather. I opted for a walk outside rather than on the indoor track at the Y. I was questioning if my GPS was working inside of the gym, but I think it was accurate. My pace outside was about the same as inside the gym. That evening, Jimmy played volleyball so I took James on a stroller walk. I was able to walk each mile without a break!
  • 5/19/16: 2 miles, 21:48 solo mile in early afternoon, 23:45 stroller mile with James before dinner. My ortho appointment was today. Now that I know my fractures have healed, I have less fear with each step that I take! I walked my fastest mile thus far and was just as excited as if I had run a PR! LOL. I really hope I can get my walking mile times down so that I don't look like a fool at my 3 mile walking race. I can tell my ankle is very weak. The doc told me I can start some strengthening for it!
  • 5/20/16: 1.45 miles, 37:43 (26:01/mile). BACK TO WORK!! I assumed my work day would wear me out so I intended to rest. After my boo and I went on our dinner date, we decided to go on a family walk with the dogs. I was SO TIRED after all of this! I had to elevate my sausage foot and relax the rest of the evening.
    Angel and Sophie. They're pissed off at each other.
  • 5/21/16: 7.5 cycling miles, 30 minutes; 3 miles interval walking at zoo; beasted shoulders with squats. I tested the indoor bike for the first time. I warmed up for 10 minutes, level 8 for 5 minutes, level 10 for 10 minutes, and cool down for 5 minutes. It was hard as $h!t, but I loved EVERY second of it. I just felt so thankful that I could workout hard enough to increase my heart rate and sweat! After beasting, I tried to take it easy for a couple of hours because I knew I'd be doing a lot of walking at the zoo and wasn't totally confident I could make it through the adventure. I was spent by the time we got home!
    What a wonderful feeling it was to sweat!
  • 5/22/16: 11.2 cycling miles, 45 minutes; 1.5 miles walking, 29:03 (19:25/mile). I was very proud of my workouts today! Since I handled yesterday's bike ride well, I decided to increase to 45 minutes. I managed to stay at the same overall pace. After a 10 minute warm up, I did level 8 for 10 minutes, level 10 for 10 minutes, 1:1 minute intervals switching between level 8 and 10 for 10 minutes, and a 5 minute cool down. That likely means nothing to you, but helps me remember what I was able to do! (insert silly face) My foot was a little tired afterwards so I tried to rest a bit before going on a walk. I went solo 1) Because my sweet son has entered the tantrum phase and he was stressing me out so I asked Jimmy for alone time when he got home from volleyball 2) I wanted to see what I could get my body to do. I didn't expect sub 20 minute/mile average but I was so excited that I could do it! It makes me feel a lot better about that 3 mile race I have in a few weeks!
    On my way to a better me.
I am so excited about my progression this week. It makes me hopeful for the next 5 weeks until I can try running again. After getting great workouts on the bike, I've decided against even trying the elliptical...mostly because it's stupid and I hate it. My main goals for the next 5 weeks are to get at least 4 good bike workouts per week and daily walking (if weather permits) to build up to a swift 3 miles...and to continue my strength training! 
 
**********


I felt massive when I took this pic. In my defense, it's the end of the day and I'm feeling bloated!

How Far Along: 27 weeks, 5 days
 
What Baby Boo Deux is Up To: Still moving!
         

 
Weight Gain: Start weight 112 lbs., Current weight approx. 132 lbs.;
    

 
Symptoms: None.
 
 
Cravings/Aversions: No coffee.
  

 
Coming Up: I go back to the doc the day after Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment