Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Monday, May 22, 2017

My Last Week of Freedom


Hanging out with Grandpa Davis.

This is my last week of doing what the heck I want before I start following a program again! I am typically a schedule oriented person, but it's been nice to be able to say yes to most requests lately. Except for track days, I haven't had to look at my watch to hit certain paces. It's been glorious.
My legs were tired at the beginning of the week. I can't remember the last time I ran 5 days in a row...probably two years ago! I'm usually really good about giving myself a break, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to run with Amanda on Monday evening. My goal was to take it easy the rest of the week. I even decreased my long run knowing that mileage was only going to increase from here on out.
 
**********
  • 5/15: 6.07 miles, 8:28/mile. This was supposed to be a rest day for me, BUT Amanda texted me asking to run in the evening. I told her I had mom duty because of Jimmy's volleyball plans, and she offered to push James! Heck yes. She pushed my boy in her double stroller, and I pushed Roop in my single. Elizabeth joined us and had to deal with a few kid stops along the way. I for sure ran too fast for pushing a stroller and for it being a rest day. I felt good in the moment, but the leggies were tired the next day.
    A little p.m. running action. [Amanda, Elizabeth, James, Roop, ME]
  • 5/16: 6 miles, 8:25/mile; Bis/Tris, 30 minutes. Track Day! Per my Garmin app, it was 86 degrees with the wind blowing at 16 mph! I decided not to run that morning because I ran harder than I should have the night before. I joined the CRC group for their weekly track workout. The posted workout was pretty intense so I changed it just a bit. Workout: 1 mile 5k, 1 mile marathon pace, 1000 5k, 1 mile marathon pace, 600 5k. Short rest, then a couple fast 200's to finish. After reading that, I knew I'd have to change my recovery pace. I mean, my goal marathon pace is 8:15...there was NO WAY I'd be able to handle that for this workout. I opted to keep my intervals at 5k pace (7-7:15) and try to keep my "recoveries" just under or around 9mm. It was hot, and I'm sure the heat had something to do with it feeling tough, but it wasn't as horrible as I thought. I think I would have felt really good if I had rested a day. I was just going on day 5 of running so my legs were telling me to be nice. All things considered, I was happy with the workout and glad I slowed down the recovery periods. I still think I have a LONG way to go with my speed. I will get there...I just need to be patient.
    The sun was oh-so-hot!
  • 5/17: REST! I needed it. I did a little bit of foam rolling for my poor butt.
  • 5/18: 4 miles, 9:24/mile; shoulders/glutes, 30 minutes. I never get to run in my own suburb so today was a nice change! The sweet Sarah moved to Gahanna recently and reached out to me to run close to home. Brittaney joined us for a short, easy run in our hood. Later that evening, I decided that the foam roll wasn't cutting it for my glutes. I found a tennis ball, and it revealed that my glutes are way tighter than I had imagined. Oh my word. I vowed to roll them daily for a week straight. If I get no relief, I might go back to the massage lady.
  • 5/19: 10 miles, 9:16/mile. I decided that my long run would only be 10 miles this week. Why do more?! I met up with the early crew to knock it out so that I didn't have to worry about it when my mom was visiting this weekend. It was so freaking humid and buggy. I'm pretty sure I ate at least 5 bugs. Ick.
    This was quite the crew!
  • 5/20: 6.34 miles, 9:02/mile. Sarah and I met for a Gahanna adventure. I've run on the trails around Academy Park on a few occasions, but I can never figure out how it is set up! It never fails that I end up getting lost and/or confused. Also, when I finished, I was happy that I decided not to run a 50k today! Part of me was like "Lisa, you suck for not running that." The other part was super happy that I wasn't going to have to deal with the soreness and fatigue that would have resulted from it. Ugh...stupid mental struggle.
    Schneider's!!
  • 5/21: Hatha Yoga Class, 1 hour. I decided I would rest from running today, but all I could think about was going for a run!  I made myself rest and opted for my afternoon yoga class.
 
**********
 
Marathon training, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment