Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Lies Runners Tell To Get You To Run

RUNNERS LIE.
 
They will say anything to get you to run with them. Here are a few that might sound familiar: 
 
  1. The more you get up early to run, the easier it gets! SIKE! I am not a morning person. NOT. AT. ALL. Prior to group runs, I would always run when I got home from work. It could be 90 degrees outside and I'd still go running. When I found out there were weirdos that woke up at 4 a.m. to run, I was like "WHAT?!" I have been running early for 9 months now. I am not used to it.
    So early. Ugh.

  2. You'll warm up after a couple of miles! (this referring to teens and single digit temps). I suppose, if you have the right gear, you can warm up fairly easily...sometimes even get toasty on those long runs. Even with proper gear, I've had some runs where I never warm up. It's just not in the cards. There have been moments when I thought my face was going to fall off even with my balaclava donned!
    A frosty February run!

  3. You'll feel better after it's done! Whatever! Sometimes you just know when a workout is going to suck. There are times when running becomes a stress reliever, an escape from reality. There are also times when your body is screaming "NO!" because of fatigue, you end up running anyway, and it says "Didn't I try to tell you not to run?"
  4. Running is free and everyone can do it! Sure, the action of running is free. Technically, I can just step outside and start going. Let's be real, though. All runners have gear...$80-$120 later you have a good pair of shoes, $100+ later you have a GPS watch or a smart phone with app to help keep up with splits (yes, I know you can just use a stop watch, which I did for my first 18 years of running, but most runners training for something want to know their splits). Then there's proper clothing, hydration, fuel, registration fees, etc. Running's not free, people!
    
    Essential for running. Not free.

  5. The course is flat and fast! I bet you could all list races or training courses that were supposed to be flat and ended up having "gently rolling hills" or, straight up, big a$$ hills. I will never forget my DC Half experience. LIES. ALL LIES! I love hills, but I also like to know that they are there! If I'm mentally prepared, I will conquer them like a champ.
  6. If you run in the morning, you'll have more energy and won't be tired. More lies. I have enough energy to get my post run donut then I'm done. DONE...;laksdnoehgasdgjkn....Sorry, just dozed off while typing this. Guess my head hit the keyboard.
My 5th love.


What are some lies you've been told?

No comments:

Post a Comment