Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Friday, August 1, 2014

Half Marathon Training Week 2: Warm Ups, Supplements, Cool Downs, and I Suck At Pacing


With the exception of high school, I've never been a "warm up" kinda girl. Of course, I know the importance of a warm up but I simply never cared to do it. After being pregnant and having James, I'm taking special care of my body. Since starting this training program, I've really noticed a difference in how I feel simply by doing my warm ups. It's hard to look at a workout plan and see "2 mile warm up" and be motivated to do it...two miles just for that?! IT WORKS!!! I feel so much better doing the actual workout part of the run when my muscles are warm and loose.

**********

I might have mentioned before that I started having protein drinks after my runs because I was feeling like total crap for a few weeks. It has really helped my fatigue and is a great post race recovery. My current drink of choice? One scoop of Peanut Butter Chocolate Muscle Milk mixed with 8 ounces of chocolate milk. Delish! I have it after all workouts and within 15-20 minutes of finishing.

I also decided to start training with Gu Energy gels. I just started this Day 7 this week. I ate a gel packet 15-ish minutes prior to starting my run and about 45 minutes or so into the run. I feel like it helped me get through the run but it's hard to say after only one time.

**********

I've been struggling with my cool downs during the week. I do the running cool down but I don't always get to stretch right away or as much as I'd like. When you take your baby on runs with you, they are ready for your attention and/or food as soon as you finish (especially after those long runs). That mixed with our crazy schedule takes away from my stretch time. I MUST make time for more stretching and haven't quite figured out how to fit it in. The last thing I need is an injury to get me down.

**********

Finally, I suck at pacing. I used to be so good at it My focus in week 3 will be to listen to my body as I'm running so that I can figure this pacing thing out. As you can see from day 2, I have a long way to go.

**********


The workouts:

  • Day 1- 3 mile stroller run, 9:43 average
  • Day 2- 7 mile stroller run (2mi WU, 4x1mi repeats w/90sec rest [8:10, 7:22?, 9:02, 8:30], 1mi CD)
  • Day 3- Hip Hop Fitness
  • Day 4- Hill workout (5.17 mi with stroller) (2mi WU, 5x[30sec uphill hard, walk down, 75" uphill at 5k pace, walk down], 1mi CD
  • Day 5 (accidentally did the wrong workout...mommy brain)- 6 stroller miles (1mi WU, 4mi at marathon pace, 1mi CD), 4mi average 9:17
  • Day 6- REST
  • Day 7- 9 mile stroller run, average between 9:25 and 9:36 (my phone app was trippin')

No comments:

Post a Comment