Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Friday, March 7, 2014

Baby James: 12 Weeks...Lovin' On My Little Man

"I pledge allegiance to the flag..."

I survived week two of my return to work...and I even had some extra time to love on my little man :) This week was still challenging but it was so much better than the last. Now that I have established some sort of a routine, I am a little more efficient when I get home. Things don't always go my way, of course, but at least I don't feel lost this week! I've noticed that the nights that we have no commitments, I feel less stressed about getting things done.

I was worried last week that I wasn't able to pump enough milk to supply my babe during the day. I made a few changes (thanks to suggestions from friends) and I think I might have improved milk production. I've been eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every morning and I started taking my placenta capsules again (I don't have very many left but I'll keep taking them until they run out). I also started pumping after his night feedings. That seems to be the hardest change. I am SO TIRED when I get up to feed him at night and I'm very tempted to just go back to bed immediately. But, if I can stick with it, it gives me a few extra ounces of milk which is totally worth it.

Yesterday was SO MUCH nicer than it has been so we went on a family walk. James was totally thrilled about being outside. This was his first nice weather experience.


James had some firsts this week:

-He played air guitar for the first time...bass guitar to be exact. I'm sad I didn't get this one on camera.

-He started making a new noise this week. I have no idea how to spell the noise but it's the vibrating lip noise.

-He has started the drooling phase.


Going into week 2 of babysitting, James was still a little out of his normal pattern. He did seem to stop the 1 1/2 hour feedings before bed but he was still waking up more often at night! Finally, two nights ago, he went back to his old ways (sleeping about 5 1/2 hours for his first stretch). Hopefully this will continue so that I can feel a little more refreshed :)

I think my boy is a man's man. He loves to chill around the house without clothes on! He does tend to get really hot and sweaty during the day so I'm not sure if he's trying to cool off or trying to be a cool dude.

I made my second concerned-mommy-call to the pediatrician today. I've just been really concerned about his neck strength. I know he was born two weeks early; I know babies develop at different rates; and I know that it's probably hard for his long, skinny body to hold up that big round head BUT, as a therapist and one who is very textbook at times, it's hard for me to sit back and just let it all happen. I'm desperate to make him a home exercise program (or an HEP for all my fellow therapists). :) The pediatrician is not concerned and made me feel a little more at ease. She gave me some advice and told me what to watch for developmentally for when he goes to his 4 month appointment.

This was my absolute favorite picture from this week. I'm so glad I was able to capture this moment :)


A moment of reflection:
I always thought that the reason I did this blog was so that my family and friends (who all live so far away) could keep up with my life and what is going on but I realized that I also can use it as a means of reflection to see how I've grown and how The Lord has challenged me to become a better person. Just two short weeks ago, I blogged about how scared I was to return to work and wondered if I was meant to stay at home with my boy, etc. After two weeks of practice as a working mom, I know this is what I'm meant to do and I CAN do it. It's the hardest thing I've ever done but I also feel at peace and know that it's the right thing to do. I miss James dearly throughout the day but I know this is for the best so that I may provide for my little man, Mr. Boo, and my precious pups.

So, for my positive ending, I am so excited to celebrate James turning 3 months next week! I can't wait to write his 3 month letter, take pictures, and celebrate his life with Grandma Spaid (she's visiting next weekend while Mr. Boo is at Man Camp!).



No comments:

Post a Comment