Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Carmel Week 18 + Race Eve Fun

Taper Week and Race Eve


**********
A gift from Sarah that I've been meditating on all week.


So, I promised Zach I would follow his training without question. That included an 8 mile MP run during race week. I have never done it before. I'm not questioning it in any form or fashion, I've just never done it. Here's a very quick recap of my training week leading up to race day:
  • 3/26: 5.12 miles, 8:49/mile; Shoulder/Stability Workout, 45 minutes.  I met Amanda in Westerville for a BFF run. The main thing I remember is wind...so much wind! We kept it easy peasy and tried to enjoy each other's company.
    [Amanda, ME]
  • 3/27: 8 miles, 8:23/mile. Workout goal: 1 up, 2 MP, 1 HP, 3 MP, 1 down. I got through the first half and felt like crap. My legs were great, but it felt like it was 10,000 degrees in that gym. I was sweating like never before. I took a quick break to regroup. As I started again, it felt hotter. I ended up doing random intervals, going between MP and easy. I still ran the same amount of MP mileage stated, but with an occasional quarter mile recovery. I started doing a Bi/Tri workout, but was whooped. I changed my mind and left the gym to rest.
    I held it for one whole second. LOL.
  • 3/28: 3.5 miles, 9:08/mile; Chest/Back, 30 minutes. I felt great today, kept it super easy, and lifted my favorite muscle groups!
    Not all of my poses look pretty, but I like this one.
  • 3/29: REST. Coach told me complete and total rest today.
  • 3/30: 2.41 miles, 8:52/mile. Today's shakeout included three strides. I was lucky enough to have Britt join me for a pep talk. I thought I was doing a good job of staying hydrated this week, but I woke up with a horrible calf cramp on two occasions last night! IT WAS AWFUL!!!
    Don't you hate when your watch tells you to move AFTER you just finished a run?!

**********

I woke up Friday morning excited to get going. No nerves, just excitement. I was going to run another marathon the next day!! After meeting Brittaney for my shakeout, I came home to help the hubs get the kids ready and said my good-byes. I had mixed emotions of missing my little boogers and party mode. LOL.
Selfie fun before I part ways with my boy.

I left mid morning to scoop up Jen V-S, head to Amanda's, and set off on that boring (not so boring with friends), short trip to Indy. After checking into our hotel, we headed to the expo. The expo is super duper small at Carmel, but I'm not really an expo person. I want my bib, maybe a shirt, and the option to buy things I might have left home.
These girls are ready! [Jen, ME, Amanda]

It didn't take long for the laughs to start piling in. Amanda was mistaken for a man named Jonathan, we made friends with a guy at the pace band table to find out later he was married and his wife gave us all the fun looks (she ended up being super nice after she warmed up to us), and we were surprised by a man joining in on our kettle corn conversation and making us feel bad for not buying some. I also can't forget the fun-making regarding a shirt Amanda and I bought:
There is a debate...cute or not cute?!

We had some time to kill before Sarah and Nicole arrived for dinner, so we hit up this delicious coffee shop in Carmel. They had yummy pour over and scones. I opted for Ethiopian beans while Jen went for Kenyan. We then debated who would be faster (Duh, Jen is faster, but Ethiopians have ruled lately).
So delicious!

We ended up eating at Bub's Burgers (same place Amanda and I ate at last year). I can't do pasta/Italian the night before or my belly will hate me. I'm a burger, fries, and one beer kind of girl. We decided to be boring and head back to the hotel for rest after dinner. Because I wasn't nervous, I slept fairly well that night. Marathon number eight was a few short hours away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment