Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Carmel to Pig: Doing Whatevs

Doing Whatevs

**********



Five weeks between Carmel and Flying Pig. Week one was my 5 day break with some easy running the other days. Week two (this week) is just listening to my body and trying to up the distance a bit. The last three weeks will follow the pattern that Coach Z gave me for Carmel (this is what is in my head, anyway).

  • 4/9: 4 miles, 9:07/mile; Bis/Tris, 45 minutes. The weather was stupid today. I just ran on the treadmill and followed it up with a lift session.
  • 4/10: 5.01 miles, 9:03/mile; Shoulder and Stability workout, 1 hour. I met some close pals at the Hoover Dam to conquer one of the only legit hills close to my house. I wasn't sure how I'd feel and decided to just play it by ear with regards to how many times I'd run it. In the past, when training, I'd do about 8. I knew that wasn't going to happen! I ended up doing a mile warm up, 6 hill repeats (almost three miles total), and cool down to 5 miles. I thought I was going to die the first couple of reps, but ended up feeling pretty good about myself!
    Fun times at the dam!
  • 4/11: 8.02 miles, 8:41/mile. After skipping the morning run to sleep more, I was able to enjoy a solo, sunny, and windy run around lunchtime. I wanted a change in scenery, so I headed to Dublin. I'm looking forward to a running rest day tomorrow!
  • 4/12: REST.
    I made this winner's crown for a friend who's running her first Boston Marathon.
  • 4/13: 16.04 miles, 8:52/mile; 0.7 walking, 16:07/mile. My goal was to get 16 miles. I was going to do it in one whole run, but life happens. Amanda wanted to try for 12 miles, so I did 4 in my hood before meeting with her. We were able to get a good 8 miles together.
    Windy!
    By the time I got home, I had to clean the house to prep for my parents to visit. My last 4 had to wait until the evening. I didn't mind so much because I caught a beautiful sunset at Harrison Pond.
    Harrison Pond.

  • 4/14: REST. My parents came to visit, and we had a great day of hanging out. That evening, Jimmy and I celebrated our anniversary by eating at J. Alexander's and watching Cirque du Soleil.
    Just people watching at a college bar.
  • 4/15: 7.2 miles, 8:20/mile. I let myself sleep in and make breakfast for the family. I decided to run during nap time. Amanda was gracious enough to come all the way to my house for some very wet miles. The rain was coming down hard, the wind was blowing, and the puddles were more like lakes. It was so epic we had to use the New Albany fences to set up the phone to record us running through puddles. Good times.
    In honor of the Boston Marathon, we took a pic by Fenway!

    So. Much. Rain.

**********

I had one f up this week that I sort of regret. I let life (work, family visiting) get in the way of my strength training. I simply didn't make my third workout a priority. I will do better in the future. I have this grand plan that I'm going to bulk up. I mean, if Ryan Hall can do it...why can't I?! I realize that I will have to cut my mileage and make a lot of dietary changes, but that will be my next challenge....maybe full force at the end of this year (IF my BQ time is enough to get me to Boston...otherwise, it's all about the marathon again). Until then, I will start trying different lifting workouts to see what I can do for my body with my current running schedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment