Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Carmel Marathon 2018: PR + BQ

Carmel Marathon 2018: PR + BQ


**********

Another Carmel victory.




The race was set to start at 8 a.m., which meant a little more sleep. I woke up at 5 a.m. for an egg and coffee in hopes that I'd meet all bathroom requirements prior to the start. I spent the next two hours snacking and laying in bed watching old episodes of Jersey Shore.







The temp at the start was supposed to be around 36 degrees with a light wind. I believe it was supposed to be about 10 degrees warmer by the finish with significantly heavier winds. Since it seemed fairly comparable to last year, I opted for shorts, tank, arm warmers, and gloves. I knew it would be a chilly start, but I would thank myself by the end.







I met Sarah, Jen, and Amanda downstairs for the shuttle, and we went our separate ways when we arrived to the start line. They have a super organized gear check at this race, so that was no thang. I saw some CRC friends before the start, and hung out with them until it was go time. Sarah and I found Amanda, who was pacing the 3:30 group, and stayed by her in the corral. There were A LOT of familiar faces at this race! Columbus represented well!!
Start line nerves. [ME, Sarah, man sleep standing]




Star Spangled Banner...5, 4, 3, 2, 1...GO...






**********




I didn't have a true race plan this time. I knew only two things: I was going to try to start conservatively, and I wasn't going to look at my watch. To ensure the latter, I put a piece of duct tape over the top 3/4 of my watch. I wanted to keep the distance available because I knew it would keep me motivated towards the end. Although Amanda was pacing 8 minute miles, I knew she was also starting conservatively with an 8:16 mile. My plan was to stay slightly behind her. At that point, I was just going to see what happened! LOL.




A mile into the run, I was feeling as I should. I wasn't working hard and my legs felt good. It was pretty cold, but I could tell I was warming up. Sometime in this mile, I noticed the 3:35 pacer beside me. I decided to stick with this group to see how things went. In a since, it made me feel like I wasn't truly going watchless because I was with a pace group. On the other hand, you never know how good these pacers are going to be. I decided, instead of making it my goal to stay with him, I would try to stay in the vicinity and simply adjust as my body told me too. The whole goal of the run was to go by feel and listen to my body. Looking back at the stats, I am happy with the mile 1 split [8:15]. It was slightly slower than the intended race pace, and certainly not too fast.




The next few miles seemed to have a good flow. I still felt comfortable and knew my body was still warming up. As I've mentioned in the past, it can take a good 6-8 miles for me to feel warmed up and ready to move. Miles 2-7 were as follows [8:07, 8:10, 8:11, 8:03, 8:15, 8:05]. There must have been some rollers in mile 6 that slowed me down a tad. They advertise this as being a flat course, but it is not. They changed the course this year and said it was flatter...also a lie. LOL. The inclines and hills did not bother me (until the end), but I must note that it wasn't flat! Columbus=flat. Cincy=hilly. Carmel=slightly rolling with flat.
Trying to stay warm pre-race. [Braylon, Chris, Sarah, ME]






In mile 8, I was getting some weird vibes. I wasn't feeling totally comfortable, and I should have been. I mean, it's only mile 8! By mile 9, I was feeling more uncomfortable, I just chalked it up to it being time to fuel. I typically take a total of 6 gels: pre-race, 4, 9, 14, 19, and 23. I felt the struggle even more in mile 10. Some time in this mile, I decided to separate myself just slightly from the pace group. I repeated the phrase "Show yourself some grace." I guess you could say that was my mantra for the race. In my mind, if I hit a rough patch, I would allow my self to slow down a tad, regroup my mental, and keep going. Miles 8-10 were [8:13, 8:09, 8:16].




In mile 11, I felt a little more pep in my step. I was inching closer to the 3:35 pace group again. Because I was feeling better, my confidence sky rocketed. At this point, we were making our way back to the start area. The crowd was growing along with the excitement of race day. I always fear race courses that loop back to the start/finish area at the halfway point because it's so easy to want to quit. Fortunately, the thought never crossed my mind. I was smooth sailing and focused on taking that next gel. Miles 11-15 were [8:02, 8:07, 7:58, 8:02, 8:11]. Mile 15 was a little slower due to the pacer trying to get us back in check since we had some faster miles.
The CRC crew!






The next few miles, I started wearing down just a bit. I had to repeat my mantra several times and allow myself to break away from the pace group. I wasn't sure what pace they were running, but I knew it was too much for me in the moment. I remember telling myself just to make it to mile 19 so that I could take another gel. Maybe the gel would make me feel better. After taking my gel, I didn't feel so hot. I was a little sick and had stomach cramps. I stopped for a couple of seconds to...well...let out some gas. I found out at the hotel that this was actually a shart. Two Carmel Marathons, two shitty panties. Miles 16-19 were [8:18, 8:19, 8:20, 8:29].


It must have been the release of gas and the gel kicking in, because something came over me these next two miles. I never caught back up to the 3:35 pacer, but I could see him in front of me. As he would pass a landmark, I would count the approximate number of seconds I was behind him. I knew he was actually trying to finish in 3:34:40, so I was doing the math in my head to pass the time. Miles 20-21 were [7:59, 8:01]. Wowza! Of course, I didn't know this at the time, but super proud looking back at the data.
Selfie fun/distracting ourselves. [Braylon, Chris, Sarah, ME]




At this point, I kept telling myself I was in the last 10k...less than an hour. I can do this. I knew I was going to do this. I could still see the pacer these next few miles. He was getting further ahead, but I could see his bright yellow shirt and orange camo hat. I also knew that the 3:40 pacer hadn't passed me. I was good. Even if I didn't get to run the Boston Marathon next year, I was still going to be a Boston qualifier. I was so out of it, that this didn't motivate me enough to stay in the low 8s. Miles 22-24 were [8:19, 9:13, 8:38].


We were in a section of the course where we had a slight uphill followed by a sharp turn onto the bike trail which had another slight uphill. We could see all of the runners slower than us pass by. I was looking over to see how far behind the 3:40 pacer was. He was WAY back there! This mixed with the fact that I actually knew where we were (this section was a repeat of the first loop) motivated me to kick it up a notch. I didn't have a lot left, but I had enough to speed up. I tried not to think too much and just run. One foot in front of the other. There were also more spectators at this point. Just when I needed it. Mile 25 was [8:07]!
Sarah is full of surprises. She bought me this magnet before this trip in case I met my goal!



This next mile was tough. I was moving the best I could, but the wind was picking up, and, of course, we were running into it. UGH!! On this course, as you approach the mile 26 marker, you are going uphill. WHY?! Why at the end?! I thought I was dying. My legs started to cramp, but I was too close to think about taking another salt tab. I had to just run through it. Uphill, wind, cramps....none of that mattered...this was for my BQ!!! I tried to forget about it all and get to the top of the hill to round the corner to the finish. Mile 26 was [8:23].


As you round the last corner, it's a straight shot to the finish. The crowd is amazing. All you can do is give it all you got. My watch clocked 26.31 miles for this marathon with my last 0.31 at [7:59] pace. I've never been a weirdo and fist pumped in the air at the end of a race, but I knew I did it. I knew I was a Boston qualifier...but by how much?!
Is this real?!


 I saw Jen and Sarah and embraced them as the tears flowed.
The cry smile.

OMG.


 I didn't look at the clock as I crossed the finish so had no idea what to expect for my finish time. My head was telling me maybe a 3:38 or high 3:37. I ripped the tape off of my Garmin for it to reveal:




EEEEK!! More happy tears! Official results:







**********


After the initial shock wore off, it was a game of finding as many friends as possible to see how the day fared for them. Then it was a race to get back to the hotel for a hot shower by checkout! I am SO thankful for everyone who was there. There was a crew from CRC, some close girlfriends, the LC girls, and my friend, Chris and his son. Columbus represented well!!



I've had two great experiences with this race and would love to return again. I'm still in slight denial of my result, but I knew I could do it some day. My only unknown at this point is if my 3 minute 10 second cushion will be enough to actually get to the Boston start line. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until mid-September to find out!!
The classic stopping the Garmin at the finish pic.

About to cross the finish!!


The hubs is cracking me up a bit because, in my opinion, he wants me to go to Boston next year more than I do! LOL. He asked me if I wanted to run another marathon to try to improve my time (he asks me this when I get home yesterday!). Umm...I'm sorry, sir, but I'm not thinking about racing any time soon!


And then I get on google.

No comments:

Post a Comment