Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, February 12, 2017

CTLR: 3 more weeks!!!

Countdown to Little Rock
 
**********
These two keep me motivated.

This week was set up to be my most challenging week thus far. It included my last 20 miler, a race pace run, a track workout, an easy, mostly flat run, and an easy paced hilly run. All of this, of course, if my body would allow. As I've said since giving birth, I'm not here to hurt myself. I always listen to my body! I also planned to continue with my yoga challenge.
Saturday's challenge.

Well, mission accomplished! I survived my week with both legs still attached. It wasn't all sunshine and roses, but I made it happen. I ended with 50.16 running miles, 7.5 cycling miles, three strength workouts, Hatha yoga class, and my yoga challenge each evening.
 
  • 2/6: 8 miles, 8:08/mile. Race pace run. This day seemed to be a disaster in the beginning. Per usual this past week, sleep was lacking and illness was looming. That seemed to be the case in the world of my friends as well. The morning run was cancelled, and I didn't have the desire or time to treadmill it before work. Even though mom guilt set in, I did my run after work [hubs was gracious enough to tackle watching the kids and making dinner]. I was not confident at all about this run. I just wasn't feeling it as I started. After my warm up mile [9:01], I wanted to keep the remaining miles between 8:15-8:20. My first one was 8:07 so I attempted to slow down. For whatever reason, this is the pace my body chose to run today. The other miles were [8:06, 8:03, 8:04, 8:04, 7:49, 7:52]. I was impressed with my consistency in miles 2-6, but annoyed that I couldn't pace myself at the intended range.
  • 2/7: 7.5 cycling miles, 30:05; Chest/back/other workout. The "other" included exercises that I try to do a few times a week for my hips and Achilles...more of a prevention technique!

    Trying to make my skinny arms look strong.
  • 2/8: 7 miles total, 2 mile warm up @9:24/mile, 5 mile interval section @8:08/mile. Track Day!! The workout was supposed to be 5x1200m at 7-7:15/mile with 400m recovery. I try not to judge my workout by the first couple of intervals, but, today, they were speaking truth. My legs felt like lead, my congestion was awful, and I was simply sleepy. I think these things just added up to equal a bad workout. I knew this week was going to be challenging, but I was hoping for a successful track workout. I ended up doing 4x1200m and 1x800m. My pace was much slower...more like mid 7's. I don't get too hung up on bad workouts lately. I just wish a different run sucked. Track days are my favorite so I always want to walk away feeling like death but in a good way. Today just sucked.
  • 2/9: 8.01 miles, 9:16/mile. I SO needed this run. My legs were so tired during yesterday's run. I knew I needed a no pressure recovery run to make it all better. It snowed just a bit overnight...enough to make the roads and sidewalks slippery. We did have some clear areas towards the end of the run, but the slick terrain at the beginning forced us to slow down which is exactly what I needed. I left this run feeling great and feeling like I didn't actually run 8 miles. Thanks to Tamara, Meg, and Katie for joining me!
  • 2/10: Upper body workout and core circuit. I spent an hour at the gym avoiding anything leg related in hopes that they'd be fresh for my long run!
    Kind of annoyed I forgot to crop the photo.
  • 2/11: 20 miles, 8:52/mile. My last 20 miler before the Little Rock Marathon!!! I still can't imagine running 6.2 more miles. Of all of my 20 milers, this felt the worst. It wasn't horrible...just not awesome like the others. I took a gel at 5, 10, and 15 miles. I forgot salt tabs and think they actually might have helped the tightness. I even felt my calf cramp at one point mid run. Theresa gave me one as we were approaching 18 miles but I think it was too late at that point. I was hoping it would kick in more quickly! Now that I think about it, I ran my other 20 milers in the early afternoon when I tend to feel better. I had to start this one at 6 a.m. on a Saturday after 1 1/2 weeks of horrible sleep due to a sick baby...minor details. ;) No matter how it went, I was able to share it with some lovely ladies. Thank you, Meg, Tamara, and Theresa!!
    Two of my favs. [ME, Theresa, Meg]
  • 2/12: 7.15 miles, 9:05/mile; 1 hour Hatha Yoga class. Highbanks! I decided another hilly adventure was appropriate. I knew there was a potential for limb loss after yesterday's long run, but I eventually texted Meg and said "F it...let's do Highbanks!" I recovered surprisingly well. I was sore for a few hours post-run yesterday, but had no soreness by the time I went to bed or after I woke up. Our overall average is one of my speedier attempts at Highbanks. I felt sluggish up our biggest climb, but recovered well after it flattened (3,000 years later). I celebrated my successful weekend by sippin' on a vanilla latte.
    Love a good Highbanks run! [Amanda, ME, Meg]
 
**********
 
I'm still in denial that my marathon is in three weeks. Mileage will decrease from here on out, but I'll still have some challenging speed workouts and hilly runs. At this point, there's not a whole lot I can do to change things. My body is officially prepared to conquer 26.2! I'm speechless.
 
Throwback to my first marathon which happens to be the Little Rock Marathon:
Pre-race posing.

Action shot!

Part of my fan club...my sister and her BFF.




No comments:

Post a Comment