Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Gluten Free...Not What I Thought It Would Be

I expected the worst when I knew I had to go gluten free. The more I researched, the more I felt at ease. My diet the last 30 years has included LOTS of pasta and LOTS of bread (in many forms). So that's where I began my experiment. I found this pasta at Kroger:

I could taste a slight difference, but, overall, it wasn't that bad. I also discovered my love for Trader Joe's. It's my new favorite store! I bought another type of pasta there...corn, I believe...but haven't had a chance to try it. Here's another Trader Joe's buy:

Udi's Bread! It tasted great...it just isn't as soft as regular bread. It made great toast and PB&J! As I was browsing through Kroger, I came across this:
I attempted biscuits...they were kinda disgusting. Then I made some pancakes. YUMMY! I can't wait to use the GF Bisquick to make sausage balls! My final and favorite Kroger discovery:
This is some delicious granola. It will make a great snack during the day.
 
Besides pasta and bread, cake/cookies/ice cream was a big part of my diet. This will be a huge adjustment for me. I know that I can have ice cream so that's AWESOME, but I will have to stop going down the cookie and cake aisle. If I feel like baking, I know I can buy ingredients for GF treats, but, considering my dislike for making things, I would prefer sticking to ice cream. (Also, thanks to my friend Becca for making me some yummy GF cookies).
 
Final thought: I'm also researching restaurants with GF options because Jimmy and I love to go out to eat and do happy hour. This week, we went to BJ's Brewhouse. I had their GF pizza and pear cider...YUM and YUM :)
 


4 comments:

  1. Rusty Bucket has gf choices on their menu. I will keep an eye out for other dining out options and let you know what I find... I know that will be an adjustment for y,all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cali Pizza Kitchen & PF Changs have some good alternatives. I'll keep my eyes open too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about PF Changs the other day...I'm really wanting to check that out. I tried Olive Garden's GF menu last night. Yummy! Except I couldn't have the breadsticks
      :(

      Delete