Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, September 10, 2017

CSWS: Week 16 (RACE WEEK)

Can't Stop, Won't Stop
 
**********
 
What a week! I slept so much more than I have in a very long time. My legs felt so good during all of my runs. Finally feeling good mentally.
 
BUT...
 
As most of you know, I didn't finish my marathon! DNF. I haven't shed one tear which is nice. I'd be lying if I wasn't annoyed. So much time and effort is put into training for these races. When things don't work out the way you envision, it's slightly annoying. When I had my first DNF 2 years ago, I balled like a baby. That one hurt and took a while to get over. This time, I'm good! LOL. It's weird. I just don't feel bad about it. I'll talk more about this in a moment.
 
  • 9/4: 5 miles, 8:50/mile. This included a 5k memorial run for the son of our church friends who tragically passed away at the age of 3-ish. I was happy to share some miles with my church family.
    Post 5k with Lindsey.

    The 5k crew!
  • 9/5: 4.01 miles, 9:01/mile. I had some extra time after work and took it to the streets of Hilliard. This was after a failed attempt to run with Jackie and Marion that morning. We had to cancel due to crazy lightning.
    Annoyed that this was solo and not with my buddies.
  • 9/6: 4 miles, 8:54/mile. I set out from my house in the afternoon and followed that up with mowing the yard.
    My sweet, precious lady love.
  • 9/7: REST.
  • 9/8: REST.
    Apple picking with my littles.
  • 9/9: 2 miles, 9:05/mile. Just a quick shakeout before heading to Erie!
    Making a "7" with my feet. Too bad I didn't finish #7...yet!
  • 9/10: 12.31 miles, 8:12/mile. I felt completely fine all week. I felt great the night before. I felt great when I woke up. I felt great waiting at the start line.
    Still optimistic because I feel GOOD!

    On the upside, I got a weekend away with my boo.

    My usual marathon eve meal...burger, fries, beer.
    So what the hell happened?! LOL! I'll just tell you how I felt and not worry about the diagnosis. The temp was around 48; I was wearing shorts and a crop top. You think I would have been cold. I wasn't! I thought that was odd, but I was surrounded by a ton of people. I assumed they were keeping me warm.
    The hubs took this gorgeous picture after we started.
    Mile one was fine...totally normal. I started sweating more than/earlier than usual the next mile. Again, weird, but I ignored it. Mile 4, I took a gel. Soon after, I threw it up in my mouth and re-swallowed (disgusting, I know). Side note: they had water every mile and I drank some sips at each one. Mile 5, my legs started feeling very tired. Crazy, but I ignored it thinking I was still trying to warm up. I threw up again (in my mouth) soon after. Mile 8, despite all of my mental efforts to get through this stuff, I told myself I would see how I felt at the half and potentially stop then. I wanted to get through my next gel before making a decision. I took another gel at mile 9. I threw it up twice over the next mile. WTF. What is going on?! This NEVER happens. I knew at 10 miles that there was no way I could continue this pace for the next 16 miles. I officially decided I would not go past the halfway point if I made it that far. My reasoning was pretty basic: the sole purpose of running Erie was to BQ for 2018. If that wasn't going to happen, I wasn't going to torture myself. I had absolutely no shame in quitting this one. I didn't know when to expect to see my husband. I wanted to tell him what was going on. I saw him at about 12.3 and told him I was going to quit at the half. As I was standing there talking to him, I thought "Why go to the half when I can just quit now?!" LOL. Ugh. All the eye rolls right now. Y'all, I'm secure enough in my ability to know that I will BQ. I had two really good (for me) marathons in the spring...I must fail sometime, right?! Let's get the failure out of the way and try to kick butt the next one!!
    The DNF stamp!
 
**********
 
I told one friend, "Marathoning is a bitch." I said to another, "Marathoning is just crazy. So much work for one moment. But, when those goals are met, those moments are sweet."
 
I'm not sure why I choose marathoning as my "thing." I just know that I'm incredibly drawn to it. It makes me push harder than I would otherwise. Sure, I quit today...but I'm ok with it. Only we know our bodies best. I've only done 6 marathons, but I know enough to know that I had no chance to continue at that pace and BQ. Guess I'll start trying for 2019!!! Happy running, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment