Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, August 27, 2017

CSWS: Week 14

Can't Stop, Won't Stop
 
**********

I visited the spot where Linda Evans was killed. Ugh.
My week had a rough start. I got to sleep a LITTLE later than usual on Monday, but still had to wake up before 5 a.m. Then I had a follow up with my PCP who increased the dosage of my meds (Lexapro). He said it would likely make me feel those awful side effects all over again...nausea, headaches, drowsiness, potential diarrhea. Oh boy! I felt the symptoms throughout the week, but I'm hoping they'll subside as I enter this coming week.

Also, I had what felt like an awful workout on Tuesday, but my attitude turned around after a redemption speed workout on Thursday and a great training race on Sunday.
 
 
  • 8/21: 5.01 miles, 9:19/mile. Thank goodness I had an easy run! I met up with Lisa B and Sarah K in our hood for some easy miles. It was a great start to my Monday. (Until our sliding van door didn't close, AAA brought it to the shop, and we received an estimate of $1500)
  • 8/22: 8.01 miles, 8:12/mile; Legs/Yoga, 30 minutes. Today was tempo run day. In my training program, my tempo pace is defined as 7:21-7:37/mile. The goal was to run 3-4 miles in that pace range. I always go for the higher number. So, I had it in my head that I was going to try for 4 miles in the pace range. It was a scary thought, but I was going to try my best. I met Amanda at the wee hour of 4:45 a.m. Yay. It felt like a rough start. Maybe my warm up miles were a little fast, but the air was just thick. I just didn't feel great. As I was getting ready to start my faster miles, I felt like I needed to poop. I ignored it the best I could (that method worked because it didn't bother me too much after that). When we started the faster miles, I couldn't seem to get my legs to move. I finally found my stride and managed a 7:39...close enough...I wanted to barf, though. I told Amanda I didn't think I could run four, or even three, in a row at that pace. I decided I would do another fast mile, a recovery mile, and attempt a third fast mile. My second fast split was 7:36...in my range, but felt like complete crap. I actually stopped after that mile thinking I was going to throw up. I did my recovery mile and ended on a good note with a 7:18. I'm glad this one is over. It was rough!
    [ME, Amanda]
  • 8/23: Shoulders, 30 minutes; Core Power Yoga, 1 hour. Today was a running rest day. I hit up the gym for a shoulder workout and went to a free yoga class later that evening. I was shaking like crazy during some of the yoga poses because I was fatigued from my shoulder workout!
  • 8/24: 9 miles, 8:09/mile. This should be my last hard workout until my race. Woo Hoo! Workout: 2 mile warm up, 5 x 1600 with 400 recovery, 1 mile cool down. Since I felt so awful on Tuesday, I knew I had to nail this workout to give me a boost of confidence. I was supposed to progress from 7:45 to 7:25 for the intervals. I had it in my head to target 7:45, 7:40, 7:35, 7:30, and 7:25. My first fast mile was 7:21. I tried really hard to slow it down for the next one and get back to my target paces...7:18. Crap. When the next one was 7:20, I could tell my legs had one pace range for the day. My next two were actually pretty close to my target paces: 7:27 and 7:24. I'll call it a success and enjoy the rest of my running week!
    Asics Gel Hyper Speed.
  • 8/25: 6 miles, 9:08/mile. Initally, I was going to rest today and run this on Saturday. We have way too much going on that day, and the thought of potentially sleeping in Saturday morning trumped resting today. I was able to sleep until 6:25 and help the hubs get the kids ready for the sitter. As he left to take them, I set off for my run. The last time I ran this time of day during the work week, I got run over by a vehicle. I couldn't help but think about this the whole time I was running. The experience is still so vivid in my mind. Anyway, the weather was awesome...slightly crisp. I could tell my body was a little tired from yesterday, but hopefully this run helped to work some of that out.
    Oh how I love coffee in a mug at home on my couch.
  • 8/26: REST. Complete and total workout rest. I did spend the day keeping the kids away from the house and my husband so that he could be alone all morning to get his mind ready for CPA exam #1.
    My baby girl at Creekside.

    My handsome big boy.
  • 8/27: 14.15 total miles (1 mile warm up, 9:23/mile; 13.15 race miles, 7:55/mile-turned off during friend's bathroom break!  8 min/mile with bathroom break). I ran the Emerald City Half Marathon with friends today. Perfect weather for a race! Of course, I will write a recap.
    Emerald City Half.
 
**********
 
Overall, I suppose I can't complain about my week. That last speed workout and the race gave me a lot more confidence for my upcoming race.

No comments:

Post a Comment