Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, August 6, 2017

CSWS: Week 11

Can't Stop, Won't Stop
 
**********

This week's stress was increased by the fact that this boy had VBS every night and didn't go to bed as early as he usually does...but he's so cute!
This week has been a struggle. I started taking a new medication last Friday knowing it would give me some not so desirable symptoms (hence, why I started taking it after my 20 miler!). After I started taking it, I would feel nauseous, get headaches, and it would jack up my sleep. That combined with life responsibilities and a full time job didn't do me any good at the beginning of the week. Even so, I had to keep on keepin' on.

Fortunately, after a conversation with my doctor, I changed the time of day I was taking my medication, and that seemed to diminish the symptoms. My sleeping seemed to be back on track by the end of the week.
Monday marked the end of the month which means monthly mileage totaling party. I had my highest month EVER!
 
 **********
  • 7/31: REST. You know, the kind in which you do absolutely nothing.
  • 8/1: 10 miles, 8:56/mile. Track day! Workout:4 mile warm up, 7 x 3 minute fartleks with 2 minute recovery, cool down to 10 miles. My friend Amy D. met me at the track to help motivate me through the intervals. Fortunately, she has a fancy watch that beeped when we needed to speed up and slow down. It was nice not having to look at my watch the whole time. I got to strap on my new pair of ASICS Gel Hyper Speed 7's and enjoy a speed sesh.
    Wide awake at 2-something and could not fall back asleep.
  • 8/2: 8.01 miles, 8:37/mile; Bis/Tris, 30 minutes. My workout called for a steady state run (8 miles total with 6 @ 8:22-8:32). Elizabeth was looking for a partner, and our workouts were similar enough that we just made it happen. Some of my miles were faster than my goal range, but that's life. My legs were a little tired from yesterday's workout, so I was looking forward to another rest day!
    Early morning at the dam. [Elizabeth, ME]
  • 8/3: Legs, 30 minutes. Another running rest day for me. I did a good leg workout at The Y and spent some time rolling my glutes.
  • 8/4: 8.01 miles, 8:31/mile. I was supposed to meet Amanda in the morning, but our start time was in line with the brief bout of lightning and rain. Fortunately, I had a short work day that allowed us to meet up around lunch time. Although I felt ok in the moment, I probably ran a little too fast for an easy day. Oops.
    [Amanda, ME]
  • 8/5: 17.01 miles, 8:43/mile. Today's workout was supposed to be 17 miles with the last 7-8 at marathon race pace. I met up with a group of ladies for my first seven miles then split off to do the rest solo. I could tell in the warm up phase that the race pace miles would be tough. My friend, Karen, gave me a little pep talk before I went solo that helped get my mind focused. After 9 miles, I sped up in attempt to get all 8 of the remaining miles between 8:12-8:15. The first 5 were [8:12, 8:10, 8:06, 8:07, 8:10]. At that point, I needed a recovery mile. My legs were toast! I had side stitches almost the entire run and doing these faster miles seemed to make it worse. I ran the next mile in 9:15 and decided I would run the last two the best that I could, trying to get them under 9 minutes. My next mile was [8:30]. With only one mile to go, I knew I had to try my best to knock out one more race pace mile. I was oh-so-close with an [8:16]. Man...that was a tough run. I really had to convince myself to keep plugging away.
    My favorite part of Saturday mornings...post run coffee and time with my kiddos.
  • 8/6: 7 miles, 9:15/mile. I ventured to Dublin for a few miles with Theresa then finished the rest solo. The pace was perfect for recovery, and the legs felt much better today.
    I haven't run with this lady in AGES! [Theresa, ME]
 
**********
 
A local runner, Linda Evans, died in a hit and run accident earlier this week after being struck by a vehicle while she was on a training run. Such a sad story about such an inspirational woman. The only way I could think to pay tribute to her through running was to do a 68 mile running streak (she was 68 years old and training for her 68th marathon). A few friends liked the idea so they are either doing a 68 mile or a 68 day streak. I started on Friday, so I have completed 32 of 68!

No comments:

Post a Comment