Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Monday, August 14, 2017

CSWS: Week 12

Can't Stop, Won't Stop
 
**********

This week was all about the birthday girl!
Week 12 means the end of my third block of training. ONLY FOUR MORE WEEKS UNTIL RACE DAY! The legs are certainly feeling the effects of training and mileage. Any time you get to the point when a 5-7 mile run seems measly, you know you're in the thick of it. LOL.
 
Last week into this week, I struggled with a bit of burnout. Not so much running burnout, but waking up early burnout. As I mentioned last week, I started a new medication. That seems to be when my sleep frustration began. From here on out, I'm going to try to take advantage of any opportunities I have to run later than 5 a.m. Those moments may not happen often, but I want to take them if I can.

**********

I will openly admit that I was a lazy ass this week. I let my busy schedule take over and didn't make strengthening a priority. UGH. I'm so pissed at myself. I didn't do one strength workout...NOT ONE! I didn't even get to go to a yoga class. I can't take any of it back so I'll just have to move on and hope for a better week in that area.
 
  • 8/7: 8.01 miles, 9:22/mile. This was supposed to be my hill repeat day. Katie and I met at the dam for a 5 mile warm up followed by hill sprints. When we arrived, there were 4-5 cop vehicles at the dam. The police were using their flashlights to search for someone or something. It freaked us out a bit so we decided that we didn't want to do the repeats since the hill was located in a wooded, dark area. As we set off for our miles, we saw more cops down the road searching for the same person. We asked if we should be scared, but they said they were searching for a child. No matter the case, it was enough for me not to want to do the creepy hill in the dark. Hell, my next race is flat. Missing one hill workout won't make or break me!
  • 8/8: 10 miles, 8:18/mile. Today's workout included 6 miles progressing from marathon pace to half marathon pace (goal 8:15 to 7:45). I've been so burnt out on waking up early, and work presented me with the opportunity to run in the afternoon. I got 8 hours of sleep the night before!! My body didn't feel that awesome when I started, but it warmed up fairly quickly and I was ready for those faster miles...very happy with this workout.
  • 8/9: 1 mile, 9:09/mile. Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I was in the middle of a 68 mile run streak. I had a crazy work day, so I ran my mile as soon as I got home. Otherwise, it wasn't going to happen.
    Post birthday dinner at Pies n Pints.
  • 8/10: 9.01 miles, 9:23/mile. Just a medium pre-long run run. I did 5 solo then met Sarah K for the other 4. I was so freaking tired. I just couldn't get my leggies to move the way I wanted them to. This made me a little nervous about my long run.
  • 8/11: 20.01 miles, 8:55/mile. Another Friday long run. I was throwing a birthday party for Ruthie on Saturday and knew I would likely be stressed about it. I thought it would be a good idea to get the 20 miler out of the way so I could wake up on Saturday to set up for the party. I ran the first 7 miles with friends. Just enough so that I didn't have to run in the dark by myself. I then set off for another 13 miles. I had no route planned, so I just turned when I felt like turning. I didn't look at my watch because I was afraid I was going too slow. I thought it would get in my head if I saw that I was out of my pace range. I couldn't believe my average when I stopped. I thought for sure I would be in the mid 9s.
    I won't see this number again until race day!
  • 8/12: REST. Complete and total rest. It was Ruthie's big birthday party so I intentionally scheduled a rest day so I could prep for and host the party. It was a success, and we made lots of memories!
    You gotta have watermelon at a watermelon themed party!

    Birthday perfection.

    Fun with the cousins.
  • 8/13: 6 miles, 8:30/mile. My plans fell through when my friend got strep. I then found another group to run with, but my ass didn't want to get out of bed when my alarm went off at 6:15. I messaged a friend to tell her I wasn't coming and went back to sleep. I didn't get out of bed until 7:45!! Thank you, husband, for allowing that to happen!! I set off for a late afternoon run after the hubs got home from volleyball. It was toasty, but I loved every moment of it.
 
**********
 
As this week ends and the next begins, all I can think about is getting more sleep. I hope this attitude flips to a more positive one before race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment