Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Friday, June 12, 2015

Running Break

Enjoying coffee from my race mug on my running break while thinking about running. ;)

My mind is slightly blown right now. I haven't taken a running break in over a year...14-15 months, maybe?! It was last March/April when I started training regularly after having James. Sure, October and the beginning of November were a little thin because I ran Run Like a Girl Half, Columbus Half, and Hot Chocolate 15k. I was also battling an injury. Other than that, I've put in a lot of miles!

One of the most memorable moments of this training season...an 18 miler that didn't finish until after midnight!

In my previous running life, I would hibernate in the winter. I might run 2-3 times per week on the treadmill and never more than an hour (3 times would be generous and so would an hour). I'd pick back up in March and go semi-strong until the next winter. I don't know what came over me this year. Maybe it was my stress reliever from being a new mom, my way of getting back into shape, my amazing new friendships...whatever the motivator, IT MADE ME THE RUNNER I WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE.
 
**********
 
This is the first official running break I've taken in a LONG TIME. I must say, I've enjoyed it! Some people freak out at the thought of a running break. I welcome it with open arms! As an experienced runner (don't get experienced confused with elite...I am quite mediocre in my performance level), I understand the importance of taking a break. On the other hand, I don't necessarily agree that breaks need to be scheduled at specific times. If you feel led to take a running break, DO IT!

True words.

With motivation and encouragement from my closest running friends, I made lofty goals for myself this year. I had my goal races planned, my training program written...but what about a break? That wasn't even on my mind. I knew it would happen at some point, but when?
 
You might think that taking a running break after a goal full marathon might be the natural thing to do...but it just didn't feel like the right time. I took two full days off and just felt the urge to keep going. Even with the fatigue I felt those first 2-3 weeks after Flying Pig, I never felt the urge to have an extended break. Then the humidity hit.
 
The two weeks leading up to my most recent half were ROUGH, to say the least. I felt like the humidity was just wearing me down. It was then that I said to myself "It's time." I was finally ready for the well deserved break!
 
**********
 
So, what did I do this week? Mostly, nothing! I ran my race on Saturday, completely rested Sunday and Monday, did Hip Hop Fitness on Tuesday, and completely rested on Wednesday and Thursday ("completely rested" = I still did family walks; I also have a job in which I'm active throughout the day...I just avoided running).
 
I wanted to allow myself an easy, short run this morning to make sure my legs remembered how to run ;)

This morning's "Tin Man Run." I felt a little rusty at first but never lost sight of chasing after the heart of running.
I'm looking forward to my next training session which includes a 3 week program prepping me for a 10k on July 4th! Cheers to continued training runs with my friends and to staying healthy and smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment