Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Pig to Hoka: I Can't Even With This Heat

I Can't Even With This Heat

**********
My wild girl.


It's bullshit. I'm pretty sure it went straight from runs that were never above 30 degrees to heat and humidity. WTF, spring?! Y'all, this southern girl has become weak...WEAK!

Well, it's race week, and I'm still no more confident than I was last week or the week before or the week before. Who told me I should race this 10k? All the eye rolls to that person.

I've been in a major funk this week. It's been at least two weeks since I've run with friends. I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts and prayers. I'm not totally sure when the funk will end, but I'm hoping race excitement will help. This week technically marks week one of Grand Rapids (GR) Marathon training, but my focus has mainly been on this 10k.

  • 5/28: 6.65 miles, 9:02/mile. A few weeks ago, I won a coaching program through Wahoo! Running. This is what I'll be using to train for GR. I've been asked to run no faster than 9:07 pace for my easy runs. It shouldn't be too hard since I started behaving and running slower this past training cycle (and what do you know...I finally BQd!). I travelled back home from WV the day of this run, so I decided to run after the kids went to bed. It was so peaceful outside and reminded me of why I love to run.

    Sunset in my hood.
  • 5/29: 8.28 miles, 8:27/mile; Haley's Chest/Shoulder Workout, 1 hour. Speed Day: 15 minute warm up, 7 x 3 minutes @6:59 w/ 2 minute recovery, 20 minute cool down. It was harder than it should have been towards the end. I'm just not used to this shit...it's been a few months.
  • 5/30: 7.65 miles, 9:09/mile; Haley's Back/Glute Workout, 1 hour. Seventy minutes was on the docket for today. I decided it was a good idea to run when it was really windy and hot as balls outside. What's life without a little whimsy? Later that evening, at the gym, I ended my workout with some barbell squats. Umm...about that. F***. I completely regretted this for three days!
    Totally appropriate for me and my post-run sweaty hair to get a hot latte at Starbizzle.
  • 5/31: 3.62 indoor cycling miles, 15 minutes; Restorative Yoga, 15 minutes; Haley's Bis/Tris, 1 hour. My quads were like WHOA today, so I opted for just a warm up on the bike with some nice stretching for my legs. I decided to avoid anything lower extremity for my lifting to keep my legs functioning for race day.
    Afternoon wild thing pose. Coffee does crazy things.
  • 6/1: 11 miles, 9:26/mile. OMG I was a freaking snail today (or whatever is slower than a snail). My funk was full force when I woke up, but I knew I had to get my long run accomplished before work. It was a miracle that I actually left my front door solo at 5 a.m. I was still half asleep and fatigued from squats which is probably why I was so slow. I just couldn't get my legs moving.  Despite my speed issues, I enjoyed the peace of my quiet neighborhood. The birds were my music, the bunnies my running partners, and the moon my light.
    The 5 a.m. streets of Harrison Pond.
  • 6/2: Tacy's Shoulder Workout, 50 minutes. The best way to get a break from your crazy ass kids when you're solo parenting is by taking them to child watch at the gym. It's a win-win situation. They get to play and get sleepy for nap time while you workout and get better looking.
    Gainz.
  • 6/3: RACE DAY! I want to barf thinking about it.
**********

So, I just got home from eating tacos at Local Cantina, and it took everything in me not to get a marg. I worked off the stress of missing out by doing some yoga moves by the fountain.



No comments:

Post a Comment