Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Monday, May 7, 2018

Pig Week

Pig Week

**********
I might have bought myself this shirt for Mother's Day.


FINALLY. I get to return to the Flying Pig course. I ran it for the first time in 2015 and LOVED it. Maybe that love had to do with the fact that it was a major PR for me (previous PR 4:35:57; I ran 3:39:55 on this course in 2015). It also might have to do with the fact that the experience was generally awesome. The crowd support is great. The city really rallies around this race. The course, to most, would be considered challenging. It is known to be on the hilly side with just over 1,000 ft. elevation gain. As I wrote in my race recap a few years ago, I was so focused that I didn't seem to notice the hills. I'm most interested in paying more attention this time around to get a more accurate assessment of the course.




For the first time, I'm going to be helping a friend attempt a PR. My friend Chris is no doubt a sub 4 hour marathoner, but the running gods have not been on his side lately. We are determined to get a 3 as the first number in that PR time!


  • 4/30: 5.01 miles, 9:02/mile; Haley's Chest/Shoulder workout, 1 hour. Back to wearing tights. WTF. I met up with Sarah for the sperm route. Aside from the layers, it was the perfect way to start taper week.
    Unintentional negative splits to go with the sperm.
  • 5/1: 4.01 miles, 9:04/mile; 3.1 miles, 8:51/mile; Haley's Back/Glute workout, 1 hour. I had it in my head that I wanted 8 miles with speed, while Sarah wanted 4 miles with hill repeats. I thought I would be motivated enough to park at our meeting spot earlier than the meeting time to get the extra...not so much. I ended up doing the 4 miles with her (2 up and 10xhill), and doing the rest in the afternoon. I did 2 warm up miles and an MP mile and felt whooped. I opted to be happy with 7 miles. After finishing the second run and lift sesh, I knew my legs would be toast the next day. Probably not the best taper week decision.
    April miles.
  • 5/2: 4.3 miles, 8:54/mile. I wanted to have a super easy run today because I woke up feeling SO SORE (as expected). My ass and quads were like WHOA! After two early mornings, I decided to sleep in and run after work. The Hilliard Y has a 2.15 mile bike trail loop that I ran twice. I then spent several minutes stretching and rolling. UGH. I regret that workout yesterday!!
    My face when I started stretching my sore muscles. UGH!
  • 5/3: 4.01 miles, 8:51/mile; Haley's Bis/Tris/Abs, 1 hour. Running 6 miles was the intention, but my legs were like NO. NO. Sarah met at my house for Tour de Harrison Pond. It was the first super muggy morning...70 degrees at 5:30 a.m. It just reminded me about the importance of keeping myself hydrated for the race on Sunday.
    So. Much. Sweat.
  • 5/4: Tacy's Shoulder Workout, 45 minutes. A running rest day meant that I'd go to the Y for a lift sesh. I wanted to avoid working anything lower body...especially since I spent 5 HOURS cleaning most of the house that morning.
    Emoji tats thanks to Roop.
  • 5/5: 2.01 miles, 9:32/mile. I couldn't sleep the night before. UGH. Not sure what my deal was. I woke up just before 6 a.m., and rolled out of bed soon after that. The sun was just starting to rise, so I decided to knock out my shakeout run.
    A sunrise run is always a pleasant time.
    The family was still asleep when I go home. I took advantage of the free time and deep cleaned the inside of the van as well as killed some weeds in my yard. My neighbor came out to get his paper and commented that I was doing way too much work for a Saturday morning! LOL. Although I didn't feel nervous, maybe it was my form of the taper crazies. Later that day, I picked up Britt, and we headed to meet Sarah in Grove City so that we could carpool to Cincy. We went to the expo, grabbed a bite to eat, chatted with Sarah's friend (whom we were staying with), and went to bed EARLY.
    The 20th anniversary of The Pig!

    I finally bought me some Goodr glasses. I chose green because it's James' favorite color. It's just fitting that the name of the glasses go along with my own physical features.

    26.2 baby!
  • 5/6: 26.46 miles, 8:49/mile. Marathon day! We woke up at 3:30 a.m. to drink coffee and poop, left Traci's house at 4:45 to ensure we were able to get good parking, and headed to the start line for our adventure. The morning couldn't have been more smooth! Per usual, I'll post a race recap this week.





No comments:

Post a Comment