Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, November 12, 2017

RV: Week 1

Running Vacation
 
**********
 
Vacation: an extended period of recreation; the action of leaving something one previously occupied.
 
 
**********
 
For me, a running vacation doesn't mean I'm not running. It means I do what I want, and I do what I please! There is something so freeing about those weeks between training programs that just makes you fall in love with running all over again. Not that I don't enjoy those weeks of training, but by the time the season is over...so are you! It's nice to sleep in, unapologetically say no if you don't feel like running, or even run three miles without thinking you are a slacker. This is what my running vacation is all about.

Which makes more of a statement?!
 
Here's how I spent my first week of freedom:
 
  • 11/6: 3.08 miles, 9:23/mile; Chest/Back, 30 minutes. I met Jessie in Gahanna for some easy miles. She is getting back to running after an injury and marathon, and I'm still making sure my parts work after Saturday. It was so freaking windy!! 20+ mph!!! Overall, I felt fatigued but good.
    Holy crap wind!
  • 11/7: 3.13 miles, 8:46/mile; Bis/Tris, 30 minutes. I met Elizabeth and Sarah in NA for a we don't know what we're actually going to do run. We were thinking 5 miles, but it was chilly and rainy. We decided we would do the 5k loop and go from there. Obviously, we were happy with the loop and an early finish. I think Sarah's comment was "I'm wet enough to be finished."
  • 11/8: 5.08 miles, 8:59/mile. After deciding to skip a morning opportunity for sleep, I had just enough time after work and before an appointment to get a 5 miler. It was freaking gorgeous outside. Fall daytime runs are my absolute favorite!! Regarding my bod, things are still feeling good, and I'm feeling less fatigued than I was at the beginning of the week.
    
    Best fall day EVER!
  • 11/9: Shoulders, 30 minutes. Running rest day. I felt I should probably give the legs a break before attempting a longer run.
  • 11/10: 10.25 miles, 9:03/mile. I got to enjoy a lunchtime run on the Genoa Trail with Katie. Although it was so so cold, it was such a gorgeous sunning day! I'm getting good at this cold weather gear thing...I dressed just right today. The legs were feeling great today. I just had a little piriformis tightness afterwards.
    
    I missed this girl. Seriously.
  • 11/11: 7.07 miles, 9:19/mile; Restorative Yoga for Hips, 30 minutes. I was so excited to get a run at Highbanks! It's one of the few places in Columbus (that I'm aware of) that has some hills. My fast friends, Jen and Brittaney, agreed to meet me for the fun. The goal was 6-8 easy miles. I handled most of it well except for that last big hill as we headed back towards the stairs. My ass needs to get more hill action the next few months now that I'm running Pig. Good thing I like them!
    Those two are freaking amazing runners. Both have "BQ" on their resumes.

    Look at that temp! Can you believe I overdressed?!
  • 11/12: Yoga, 30 minutes. I woke up before the sunrise to meet Meg at the dam for a walk. I took my sweet Sophie so she could get some exercise. We walked four and a half miles up and down Sunbury then across the dam. It was so nice to walk, talk, and drink coffee with my human friend and my fur baby.
    I couldn't wait for this date. I should have snapped a pic of the sunrise.

    Sweet Sophie girl.
 
**********
 
Overall, I felt good this week considering I ran a marathon. Sometimes I wonder, if marathons don't go your way and your time wasn't that great for you, do you really need the same recovery? Maybe, maybe not. That's why I choose to just listen to my body. I intentionally stuck to upper body strengthening this week. Also, I ran whatever my body said was easy. I was hoping that would keep my pace in the 9s a little more, but I felt good while running. After my long run on Friday, my piriformis felt a little tight. It's almost always tight, but it doesn't always cause my sciatic pain. Then, after running Highbanks on Saturday, my legs really took a beating! LOL. I've been stretching those hips like crazy, and I'll plan to run all easy miles during the week.
 
**********
 
So, my exciting news of the week is that I'm registered for my spring marathons! Thanks to Indy, I fell back in love with 26.2. It reminded me that all of the hard work is and will be worth it. I plan to run the Carmel Marathon as a goal race to attempt a BQ. My goal for Pig will depend on how I do at Carmel. With that being said, training "officially" starts the week after Thanksgiving. That means two more weeks of vacation!!
I loved this post by Shalane. She reminded us to write down our goals and look at them often. She encouraged us to share them with others...state them out loud. This allows for positive encouragement and accountability. It can be scary to share our goals because, let's be real, haters gonna hate. We all know this comes out of things such as jealousy and insecurity. Let's all support each other in our missions. If we can't do that, we should just let it be.


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment