Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, October 22, 2017

WTFIMP: Week 1

What the F is My Problem
 
**********
 
I have no idea what detail I went into on my last post. Sometime after the half marathon, Amanda sent me an article about possible reasons for the way I've been feeling...particularly on race day. The thing that stuck out to me was "taking an anti-depressant." I know I've mentioned in my recent blogs that I've been on a new med, but I'm not sure that I've mentioned the reason. So that this all makes sense, I suppose I'll just have to spill the beans.
 
Like many others, I have struggled with depression for a long time. I felt it to be minor and never addressed it. In the past couple of years, it has seemed to exacerbate and bring out the worst in my personality. For this reason, I decided that I needed to suck it up and address it.
 
Back in August, I finally made an appointment with my PCP. After hearing my story, he started me on 10 mg of Lexapro. I went back 5 weeks later, discussed the progress (or lack of) and he increased me to 20 mg. I then went back 4 weeks later and we determined that this was an appropriate dosage for me. I hadn't had any depressive moments in a long time and seemed to be a little more laid back about things. I really felt good in that area.
 
After my horrible experience at Erie, I thought nothing of my meds being the issue. I just thought it was a freak situation that would likely not happen again. I was pumped about running Columbus. After another shitty race with my body crashing in the beginning, I knew something had to be wrong...but what?!
 
In a desperate attempt to fix things before Indy, I posted on Facebook to see if anyone else had experienced this. I then contacted my doctor to make an appointment to figure this out. At my appointment on Thursday, the doc and I decided that I would stop the Lexapro immediately and start taking Pristiq.
A sweet friend sent this to me. It was a great reminder.
 
**********
 
  • 10/16: 5.11 miles, 9:30/mile. The Gahanna crew strikes again. Nice, easy run full of laughs and near death experiences with Lisa B and Sarah.
  • 10/17: Yoga, 1 hour; Legs, 30 minutes. I got off work just in time to make it to a yoga class. It was a good mix of strengthening and stretching (which I really needed!!). I then followed that with a good leg workout.
  • 10/18: 8.09 miles, 8:37/mile. Workout: 2 up, 4 at marathon pace, 2 down. I was instructed to be disciplined about keeping my MP miles within 10 seconds of the intended pace (8:12-8:15). Sarah wanted to do a track workout, so I ran to meet her there (the track just happens to be 2 miles away!). I did my four MP miles on the track to hang out with her and ran home for my cool down. Perfecto. My MP miles were 8:18, 8:15, 8:05, and 8:13. The third one was a little too close to the faster end, so I made sure to tone it down for the last one. Two things that weren't awesome today: soreness and fatigue from yesterday's shenanigans AND I had to poop. Highlight: the weather was amazing! So cool outside. This is the cool weather I can deal with. I will hate it when it gets below 40 degrees.
    One of my happy places.
  • 10/19: 6.09 miles, 9:41/mile. I had the pleasure of celebrating my friend, Ellen, at her birthday run! She's a special lady and deserves all of the attention. A group of us surprised her and went out for a few chatty miles.
    The donut mug.
  • 10/20: 10.01 miles, 8:16/mile; Yoga class, 1 hour. I didn't have any patients to treat today, so I decided to run after the kids went to the sitter. I did get up early to check out a yoga class at The Y. I met Marion later that morning for a 10 miler. It was the run of layers. I started with a long sleeve...that lasted 2 miles. I ran in the tank for about 5 miles before I needed to strip to my sports bra. The sun was blazing and I was sweating like crazy. Regarding how I felt, I was definitely starting to feel nauseous after about 7 miles. I was more tired than I would have liked the last mile or two. Part of the fatigue could have been from the yoga earlier that morning, but I'm not sure if the nausea had to do with my meds.
    So much sun. LOVED it.
  • 10/21: 20.01 miles, 8:45/mile. YES! 20 miles! One might think that I should be able to finish a marathon if I can run 20 miles. UGH. I ran the first 6 with Brittaney, and the last 14 solo. I decided to make a big loop so that I had no choice but to run the full twenty (I guess I could have cheated and cut it short, but I'm less likely to do that with one big loop). I decided I would not look at my watch at all. I brought my music (which I haven't done in forever) and let myself just go. I had the route memorized so all I had to do was run happy. I was nervous...not knowing if I'd have to use the bathroom; if I'd get nauseous, lightheaded, etc.; would I have to quit and call Jimmy to pick me up? I tried to let those negative thoughts escape and enjoy the gorgeous day. The run mostly felt good until the last two miles. They were TOUGH. My legs started to tighten up, I was nauseous, and starting to get pretty tired. Despite the last two miles, I enjoyed the run.
  • 10/22: Yoga, 1 hour. I couldn't waste the morning inside! It was so beautiful outside. I wanted to catch the sunrise at Hoover, but everyone was still in bed. When everyone woke up, we just loaded up in the stroller and took it to the streets of Gahanna. Later that afternoon, I took a yoga class at The Y. I really needed to get stretched out after all the miles I ran the past few days.
    My loves.

    My other loves.
 
**********
 
At this point, I'm not sure how confident I am about running Indianapolis. I'm just going to show up and, at the very least, have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment