Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, December 4, 2016

HHH: Week 5

Hilly Half Hustle
 
**********
 I was tired a lot this week. It was my first time in a while to run three days in a row. This post pregnancy body is just taking a lot longer to recover from runs. Sometimes I wonder how I ran 5-6 days a week and 45-60 miles a week all while feeling good. I've continued to stay committed to my strength workouts, and I'm ready for the day I reap the benefits of them!
  • 11/28: Leg Circuit. Once again, I waited until the last minute to do this and the leggies were tired in the morning. I can't be disappointed because it just means I'm working hard!!
  • 11/29: 8.02 miles, 8:25/mile. I had a short work day so opted for a daytime run. It was gorgeous outside (tank and shorts!!!). This was my tempo run day, but I also wanted to run sans looking at my watch. I didn't even look at my mile splits! So proud of my self control. LOL. I had a few inclines and hills on my route so I wasn't sure how I'd do. I was pleasantly surprised with my first 5 miles [8:58, 8:28, 8:28, 8:11, 7:58]. I knew mile 6 would be a doozy because it had the two uphills [8:29]. At that point, I was just straight up tired so mile 7 was [8:36]. My gel must have kicked in at that point and I ended with a nice [8:09]. Overall, today felt great minus miles 6 and 7.
    I have a feeling this might be my last run in shorts for a while!
  • 11/30: 7.01 miles, 8:51/mile. I met up with Amanda for an easy run. I knew my legs would feel tired after yesterday, so I was hoping not to slow her down too much. I was surprised I could manage sub 9, especially after a slow warm up mile. We were disappointed in the lack of Christmas lights, but my attitude turned around when we saw Debbie and Maria! It's always nice seeing other crazy people on the road.
    Amanda. She's like a sister. We even have disagreements and get mad at each other. Ha!
  • 12/1: 7.00 miles, 8:53/mile; CORE. I haven't run three days in a row in a LONG time. I knew I would need easy miles today. I was actually surprised at my average because most of the group was WAY ahead of Megan and me. Come to find out, they were running in the low 8's so I didn't feel so bad! I'm looking forward to a day at the gym tomorrow.
    The Thursday Crew! [Jeanne, Dani, ME, Marion, Allison, Megan]
  • 12/2: 8.9 cycling miles, 30:07; Upper Body/Core. I spent some time researching some exercises that are "good for runners." The anti-rotation press was of particular interest because I had never heard of that exercise before. I could definitely feel it in my core. I finished up with a half hour on the bike at moderate effort. I wanted a decent workout but didn't want to kill my legs. I can't believe I'm doing 14 miles tomorrow.

  • 12/3: 14.04 miles, 9:01/mile. I knew today would be tough. Not only because my legs were tired, but because I knew the first few miles would be on an incline. Fortunately, I had two declines in that first half to provide quick relief. As you guys have learned by now, I take FOREVER to warm up (usually 6ish miles). Today, it took about 7 miles before I had a decent mile [9:44, 9:19, 9:11, 9:23, 9:10, 9:07, 9:14]. I took a gel after 5 miles so it must have kicked in. I also saw a group of my friends as I was approaching 8 miles so that pumped me up a bit. My next four were [8:58, 9:02, 8:33, 8:52]. I took another gel after 10 miles. I think I was feeling pooped mile 12 and ran a 9:16. I must've been going uphill again. The last mile and a half were on a decline so I busted out two good miles at the end [8:20, 8:05]. I didn't look at my splits during the run and thought my average would end up between 9:10-9:20. I really wish I could get my pacing skills back!
    I'm smiling because I'm thinking about tacos and coffee.
  • 12/4: REST. I had to work most of the day but got off in time to spectate a 5k in Westerville that afternoon. Races are so exciting!! Everyone did awesome!
 
I'd be lying my face off if I said I wasn't nervous about this half marathon. I'm not sure why. I suppose I do have an expectation, but I also know that anything can happen on race day. I really just want to run my butt off and enjoy it at the same time. I love that part of racing! So cheers to race week and running really easy until race day!
 
**********


Side note: Let's quit with the negative comments about peoples' body type. I go through this every few months and it pisses me off every time. I've had two incidents in the past week with regards to me being thin. 1) Granted, this was last year, but I was informed this week that a comment was made that I looked anorexic in one of my race pictures from last year. How kind of someone to say that. Anorexia is nothing to joke about. It is also something that I have never struggled with, but I know people who have and it's not a joke. To say someone looks anorexic out of jealousy or just plain being mean is not something someone should do. 2) Someone I see a couple times a week commented on how skinny I looked after having a baby. As the conversation progressed, I was asked if I had talked to my doctor about my weight. This person is a kind person, but the comments were completely inappropriate. I literally went to McDonalds and bought a number 3.
I guess my point is to be careful what you say to others or about others. I don't think I need to elaborate more.

No comments:

Post a Comment