Flying Pig 2015

Flying Pig 2015

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Ruthie's Birth Story

Ruthie Mae Davis
Born: 8/9/16, 6:32 p.m.
6 lbs. 14 oz., 20 inches

If you've been keeping up with my last 2-3 blog posts, you know that I'd been getting a lot of false labor. I was becoming very frustrated because it would not only make me physically sore, but it was breaking me down mentally. I never experienced that with James (only one episode at 36 weeks), so it was awful constantly thinking you might have your baby at any moment. The work weeks were even worse. I was completely freaked out by the thought of a speedy labor that I was mentally unstable all week long.

I didn't know this would be my last pregnant belly shot.
When I went to my OB appointment on Tuesday morning, I shared all of this with my doctor. I was at least hoping he would tell me I had progressed in some form or fashion. After he checked me, I was sad to hear that I was exactly the same...3cm, BUT I was 100% effaced. Pretty much nothing had happened in the past week. He commented, again, about how low the baby was sitting. He said that baby wanted out! The discussion then lead to something I had never considered: inducing labor. The thought stressed me out because of my desire to go au naturel. Doc educated me on the process and said he could likely schedule it for the next day or two. I had no idea what to think or say, but I told him I'd discuss the option with Jimmy.
After talking to the hubs, we decided to go ahead and have the doctor schedule the induction (it ended up being scheduled for Thursday at 9 a.m.). Deep down, I wasn't 100% sold on going about my labor and delivery this way, but, at the same time, I think it slightly decreased the stress I was feeling about when it all might go down. Despite scheduling the induction, I went into fierce prayer mode. I wanted to go into labor naturally...there was no other method that my heart desired. I just prayed that I would have this baby before Thursday at 9 a.m.

Big brother, James, meets little sister, Ruthie!
Since my OB appointment that morning, my body was feeling weird. I was very crampy but assumed it was because of my vaginal check. I only had one patient that day, so I picked up James from the sitter for some splash pad fun (and lunch with daddy). I was happy to put James down for a nap shortly after we got home because I still wasn't feeling well.

Our last adventure as a family of three.
Around 3:30 that afternoon, I realized my cramping seemed to be getting worse. At the time, they didn't seem like contractions to me, but I decided to keep and eye on the clock just in case. During that half hour, the cramps worsened every 7-10 minutes, but I still didn't think it was labor. I texted Jimmy around 4 o' clock (he was at an appointment) asking him if he would be home soon because I wasn't feeling well. 

Hello, clue #1.
I will never forget the time on the clock...4:09. I called Jimmy a short moment later, at 4:09 p.m., freaking out because "I think my water just broke." It exploded out of me as if I'd just popped a water balloon. We immediately discussed what to do because it was never in our plan for this to happen when I was home alone with James...without my rock of a husband to help me out. I went to the bathroom to confirm that my water broke...not sure why because it was obvious that it had! I started to put on a pad or stuff some TP into my panties but the fluid would not stop flowing out of me. There was no point in changing my clothes. I grabbed a towel and put it between my legs. I stuffed one end in the back of my pants and held the other end up front with my hands. I brought an overnight bag for James to the car (my hospital bag was already packed up) and woke my sweet boy up from his nap. I have no idea what he was thinking but it didn't matter. I had to get to Dublin ASAP!!
James had no shoes or socks on, and I only had a pair of socks on my feet. I told James we had to hurry and get in the car to go see daddy. He was so sweet and made no fuss about it. We got into the car, turned on the hazard lights, and blasted down the road.

I was so scared. I called everyone I could think to call to help calm me down. I thought about how I was just at the doctor THAT MORNING discussing my status and my options. I spent the entire day discussing with my friends their experiences with being induced. I made arrangements with work to be off beginning Thursday. I did all of these things with Thursday in mind and no thought that I'd go into labor the SAME DAY the discussion even began. Right before I went into labor, I talked to all of my friends and family about how I was having the baby in a couple of days. Then, in the snap of a finger, I was having my baby! What the crap?!
Fortunately, even though it was the beginning of rush hour, I didn't have to deal with as much traffic as I had anticipated. I made the trip from Gahanna to Dublin, with James in the car, as safely as I could have imagined. The intensity of the contractions subsided while I was driving and long enough for me to get to the triage room at the hospital.

Our arrival to the hospital was probably the funniest scene if put in a movie. I still had the towel stuffed in my pants, I had to carry James AND his overnight back since he didn't have any shoes or socks on. I walked as fast as I could across the parking lot until I got to the transport chairs. I was just praying I wasn't leaking fluids all over the floor. I put James in the chair, and we rushed up to the second floor. I was getting crazy looks from all around. I kept telling everyone "My water broke...I'm so sorry I look stupid right now." While all of this was going down, Jimmy and his mom were on their way to the hospital. Jimmy, of course, stayed with me while his mom took James back to our house.
I'm just guessing that it was around 5 p.m. at this time. I was in triage being hooked up to the monitors. My cramping turned into obvious contractions. I had to focus and breathe through them when they occurred. I decided I wouldn't look at the clock to time them out because I honestly didn't want to anticipate each one's beginning. They confirmed with me that I wanted an unmedicated labor, but stated they had to hook me up to IV fluids because I felt dehydrated and just couldn't make myself drink between contractoins. I just remember sweating like crazy...I guess I was working much harder than I felt. When the nurse did my vaginal check, I was still 3-4 cm and completely effaced.
At this point, we were just waiting for them to set up a labor and delivery room so that I could transport there. I'm not sure what time this happened...I just know that the contractions kept getting more painful and seemed to be getting closer and closer together. I think the worst part of intentionally doing this unmedicated is not knowing how long you will be contracting before the pushing phase. By the time I made it to labor and delivery, I was hating my life. When I had a contraction, I just put my head down, focused on my breathing, and repeated "The Lord is my strength." Ha! I think I had less than a handful of contractions in labor and delivery when I decided I needed to try a different position. With James, I did mostly side lying, so I decided to try it again...that's when crap hit the fan.

My newest love.
When I went into that position, the nurse wanted to check my cervix. It would be my only other check since I arrived to the hospital. As she was getting on her gloves to check, I had my next contraction. They kept telling me to let them know if I felt rectal pressure. This time, I felt that pressure. She took one look at my vag and started ripping off my mesh undies and pad they had given me. She also called someone to say that the doc needed to come immediately. I'm assuming she saw the head peaking out. After our teamwork in getting off my undies, she said to whomever was on the phone that I was fully dilated and a plus one. HELLO BABY!
They realized that the doctor was not going to make it on time, so they called in the midwife. All of a sudden, there were about 4 ladies in the room (I think 3 nurses and the midwife). They were trying to prevent me from pushing until they had the table set up for the baby to exit. It was the next contraction, the one after my strip tease contraction, that I had my demonic moment. I mean, how does a woman in labor prevent herself from pushing when a baby's head is starting to come out and her body is telling her to push?! I'm not really sure what I said while I was a demon, but I do remember the screaming and groaning. I think I apologized when the contraction was over with! After that moment, the contractions weren't as intense and the staff was finally ready to allow me to push...well, as ready as my body was allowing them to be.
The pushing phase seemed to go by fast. I can recall at least 2 contractions, maybe 3. I'm guessing I didn't push more than 5 minutes. Even though it was short, I was getting annoyed with pushing. They were cheering me on through the process, making me think the baby was about to be out. I think I asked after each push if it was out yet. The pushing was not painful at all this time around. It just made me tired. They asked me if I wanted to look and I said something along the lines of "NO! Why in the world would I want to do that?!" Seriously. Eww. Finally, I was one push away from meeting Baby Boo Deux...I just had to get the shoulders out.

Brand new baby!
When the baby came out, I couldn't really tell what was going on because I was tired. I kept asking what the sex was. They wanted Jimmy to announce it, but he couldn't tell if it was a swollen vagina or balls with a hidden penis! He guessed it was a vagina and was correct. I just delivered our precious baby girl!!!
I know I haven't mentioned my husband too much in this process but that's because it all went by so fast. When I was going through contractions, he would always make sure I didn't need anything. At one point, I was so hot that I couldn't take it anymore, and Jimmy got me a cold towel for my forehead.  He did offer to tell me some stories to distract me, but I wanted to keep repeating "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine" (James' current favorite song). There really wasn't anything else he could do because it went by so fast!

Spitting image of James when he was born.
 I got to have some skin on skin action with my girl for a while so that daddy could cut the cord and I could deliver the placenta. It was the sweetest moment. I could not stop crying happy tears. I couldn't believe we had a girl. I wasn't sure how to feel about it. I was just happy that she was here.
After the standard 2 hour post delivery wait in labor and delivery, it was time to go to our room. I was shocked at how great I felt. I could walk with a normal gait pattern unlike when I had James. I was able to push Ruthie to our room with a huge smile on my face. No wheelchair needed!
As the night progressed, Ruthie and I were passing all of our tests. In the morning, the OB said he was ok with me being discharged that day as long as things went well with Ruthie's 24 hour testing. Just like her mommy, Ruthie passed all of her tests and we were discharged around 9 p.m. It was nice to be able to be at home that night.

Selfie fun with my loves.
Despite the drama leading up to the delivery, I am SO thankful that this was my experience. I was not 100% settled with being induced because I didn't know how my body would respond to the process. I truly believe God intervened on my behalf so that I could be at peace with my labor process. He just added the water breaking at home drama to keep me on my toes for not trusting him the past two weeks! LOL.

My wonderful hubby and his daughter.
So, that's my story. I'm looking forward to the healing process, learning to be a mom of two, and getting back to running, of course! Thanks to everyone who had me in mind and sent positive vibes the past few weeks!! I'll fill you guys in on how awesome James is as a big brother and how we are adjusting as parents of two.

Say whaaat?!


No comments:

Post a Comment