Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Sunday, July 2, 2017

CSWS: Week 6

Can't Stop, Won't Stop
 
**********
Took Roop on her first wagon ride!
 
I was really nervous about my training week. I had two speed workouts that seemed as if they'd be too difficult to achieve. Initially, I was supposed to run long on Friday which meant I'd likely be extra tired from my workouts the two days before. I'm glad that changed! I ended up surviving the week and inching closer to a 50+ mile week.
 
I made a comment mid-week that I "feel like a marathoner again." After my first two runs of the week being 10 and 9 miles, it never occurred to me that this was abnormal. I mean, it's totally normal, right?! Even though I ran the two marathons earlier this year, my body didn't feel like a marathoner. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting a little speed back. I just need to prove it by having a good race!
  • 6/26: 10 miles, 8.:14/mile. This was labeled as a track day on my program, but doing more than one 1600 on a track is rubbish.Workout: 3 mile warm up, 4x1600m with 800m recovery, 1 mile cool down (interval goal, progress from 7:45 to 7:25). I met up with Kimberly and Karen at the wee time of 4:30 a.m. ICK. I failed in the pacing department and went a little fast. It all went downhill on the third interval. My first two splits were 7:35 & 7:27...in my range, but on the faster end. The third interval was 7:18. Apparently I got a little excited. I had a decision to make...slow down and make my last interval in my intended range OR go for 7:17 so I could have progressive/negative splits. Naturally, I chose to go for the negative split. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. The beginning of the last interval was on an incline, and I was nervous that I wouldn't get my goal. Because of that, I suppose I ran a little too fast thinking I needed to make up for it. The last interval was 7:03. Sure, I was happy with my workout, but I should probably be a little more disciplined.
    Sarah Marie Design Studio has so many awesome shirts that I'm too cheap to buy!
  • 6/27: REST. I actually would have loved an easy run today, but I had to place my rest day here due to other commitments.
    Snuggles with my main lady. She got tubes in her ears this week. Poor booger.
  • 6/28: 9 miles, 8:31/mile. Tempo Run. My program defines my tempo run pace as 7:37 to 7:21. Today, I ran a 3 mile warm up, 3 miles at tempo pace, and a 3 mile cool down. My faster splits were 7:30, 7:25, and 7:19. I was fortunate to run during the day (it was gorgeous out!!), but I didn't have the advantage of sleeping in either! Ruthie had to be at the surgery center at 6:30 a.m. to get tubes in her ears so I was up at 5:30. Although I was sleepy, I was super happy with my workout. The first two faster miles felt great, but the last half mile of the final one got a little sweaty. Although it was a more mild day, the sun was blazing. I'm hoping I at least got a tan out of the deal!
    Sun, sun, and more sun!
  • 6/29: 6.31 miles, 8:23/mile; Chest/Back workout, 30 minutes. I've been trying to connect with long lost running friends. I couldn't pass up an opportunity with Jackie and Marion. They were running long, but let me tag on for a short run. I was glad for some heat exposure. I don't want to turn into a sissy.
    Not too bad for 88+ degrees! Lots of water was imbibed.

  • 6/30: 7.69 miles, 9:11/mile. I've officially let false precipitation predictions control my running life. If you remember last week, it showed 80% chance of storms for my long run and then did nothing. I was initially planning my long run for today, but had basically no sleep due to a cranky baby. I was trying to figure out how to arrange my remaining runs based on the fact that it was supposed to storm Saturday morning. At the last minute, Amanda helped convince me to knock out my 7 miler today and do my long run on Sunday just in case. When I realized I was 7.69 miles away from running 180  miles this month, I opted for the extra 0.69! It was a nice solo run from my house through Creekside.
    Another Creekside run.

    Pre-run monthly total...180, baby!
  • 7/1: Abs/Glutes, 15 minutes. I wanted to make time for a little more but crap happens! I won't even make an excuse.
  • 7/2: 15.01 miles, 9:16/mile; Hatha Yoga Class, 1 hour. I made it happen, but I'd rather forget the last three miles! Fortunately, I had Katie and Meg to keep me company for 9-ish miles...those were some good miles! It started feeling so hot after that. The sun was blazing! I tried running on sidewalks to get as much shade as I could. Then I ran out of water! UGH. I will officially end my complaints. Got it in...glad it's over.

Workin' on those guns. Bahaha!!!
**********
 
As I evaluate my week, I'm feeling convicted about going too speedy on my speed days. I was telling my coach friend, Amanda, that I feel a little lost regarding how fast I really am at the moment. I mean, my training paces have been based on my goal marathon pace of 8:12/mile. I just don't know if I have the ability to do that yet. The only other thing I've raced since the Carmel Marathon is a couple of 5k's...and I mostly sucked at those. I know I should schedule a half marathon before Erie, but I just don't want to run a serious summer half. This time of year is busy enough, and I don't want to complicate it with another race. Next week, I'm going to try my best to stick closer to my intended paces.

1 comment: