Hoka 10k 2018

Hoka 10k 2018

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Nagging


I might have mentioned before that one of the hardest things about being a newlywed is learning to live together. It forces you to realize some personality traits you didn't know existed. One of my goals in making this committment of marriage is to not be a NAG!!! Here are a couple of definitions to get our brain waves flowing so that we can talk about nagging (I used the very reliable source known as "Dictionary" on my iPhone):
  1. nag (noun)- someone (especially a woman) who annoys people by constantly finding fault; an old or overworked horse
  2. fault (noun)- a wrong action attributable to bad judgement or ignorance or inattention
So...if people (especially women) nag because of fault (see definition above), does that mean the person we are nagging at is ignorant and doesn't pay attention?! I'm just sayin'! In all seriousness, I HATE feeling like I'm a nagger!
Any thoughts on a solution to keep us from nagging? I read one article that said we should start "sharing our feelings" instead of nagging...I have a feeling that if it's our significant others we are nagging at, sharing our feelings isn't a better solution! I need different advice and ideas...
One of the things I learned from my counseler (NO...I did not go to counseling for being an excessive nagger) is to avoid saying phrases like: "you always..." and "you never..."
The other day, instead of nagging verbally, I nagged in a note! LOL. My amazing husband, who I love with all my heart, had three empty bottles in the shower (one shampoo and two body washes). I went to the store and bought him some new stuff and put it by the bathroom sink with a sweet note that said something along the lines of: "I bought you some new shampoo and body wash. You can go ahead and throw away the empty ones in the shower. Heart Lisa"
So...people...how should we handle nagging, what are ways to avoid it, etc. Let me know your thoughts!
Heart,
Lisa

3 comments:

  1. So we have found that date nights are crucial after marriage. As much as we love our friends and family spending too much time with them and not as much one on one with each other can create stress and tension which causes nagging over little things. I love your note idea and the photo is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE date nights!!! They do create positivity in the relationship :) By the way, we ate at Marcella's! YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, what I’ve found best is pick your battles. Decide what is worth bringing up for your own sanity and what’s worth it to your marriage to keep your mouth shut. Also, what helps me is to remember that while chris is perfect for me, he is not perfect. We are all human and will all make mistakes/do things that annoy each other. As I’m typing this, I’m scratching my head, because I need a healthy dose of my own advice, lol.
    Ps- soooo glad you’re blogging again 

    ReplyDelete